Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer now runs but all is gone

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stindi

stindi

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:24 AM

A friend asked me to look at his computer. I'd never seen it before and really am not sure what it's state was prior to my receiving it.
It's a HP Mini loaded with XP SP3. It had some program that was irritating, a in sync or something to do with movies and music. I removed it which wasn't easy as the PC kept shutting down with a blue screen warning that was so quick, I never really saw what it was.
I was able to install Microsoft Security Essentials and after booting in a number of ways and multiple runs, most incomplete, I finally got a scan of complete nature and the program removed a number of Trojans and back door stuff.
I now have the PC running, it is giving an error message, something about delayed write in the temp folder, but for the most part, seems to accept prompts and commands.
There are no programs except for Microsoft security, IE and Outlook Express. No system tools, no restore points other than the one when I turned restore back on. All programs listed in add and remove seem to be gone as well.
There was no rescue disk made, no OS disk included and I think I've gone as far as I can without re-installing a new operating system for him.
Since I often come up against this, I'm just curious. Can viruses turn off restore points? Eliminate all programs such as was found on this?
Is there anything further I can do with this machine? Is it even worth bothering? LOL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:47 AM

You're infected by recovery rogue which hides all files and folders

Follow the guide here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-check

Good luck

#3 stindi

stindi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

Thanks for your input and help. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)))

#4 stindi

stindi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

I want to express my thanks for your help. The directions were easy to follow and the methods worked perfectly. The computer has been restored with all programs returned.
I did make one error which was not rebooting to safe mode with networking after TDSS Killer. This led to a very long scan taking almost 24 hours. I repeated all steps afterward and found a few more in safe mode. A note might want to be added in the instructions for those like me that don't always read to the end before starting.
Thanks again for the help and making me look like I know something. :)))

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

safe surfing :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users