Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash drive infected badly and write protected.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vishwajeet19

vishwajeet19

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:21 AM

hi,
i am vishwajeet..
i am a average computer user and i will like to share my problem so that if any one who knows the solution can help me.
so a week before i took out my a bit old kingston 8gb flash drive...
and voila its now infected with autorun.inf,recycler.exe and similar.
and the biggest problem is IT IS NOW WRITE PROTECTED.
i have tries changing attribute using cmd, i have used avast pro,mbam pro, Hp disk format utility and a lot more solutions but all come with kind of same message :-"the volume is write protected"
and i am not able to format it in even safe mode.
Avast and MBAM scan some files and then freeze.
no switches and no sliding locks at side of my drive.
any help will be apperciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

You could try to reformat the flash drive outside of windows using a live linux cd.

What you will need:
Another computer with internet connection and a CD burner, software capable for "burning an "iso" image to CD", and a blank recordable CD disc.

Start by downloading Lucid Puppy Linux (129 MB) from here or here.
  • Burn the iso file to CD.
  • Don't have the appropriate software or don't know how to burn the iso file to make the CD bootable. (See how to).
  • Make sure your computer is set to boot from CD/DVD drive first. (See how to)
  • Boot the computer with the newly created CD.
  • Puppy Linux is a "Live CD" which means that it runs outside of the windows operating system that is on your computer.
  • Puppy should progress and run automatically. When the desktop loads, click "OK" at the Personal Settings screen.
  • Note the icons, bottom left, above the Menu button. They represent each drive on your computer. Plug in your USB Flash drive if you haven't already. The flash drive icon will soon appear.

Posted Image
  • Click "Menu"->"System"->"Gparted partition manager"->Click the button for your USB Flash drive, then "OKAY."
  • In the lower box, right mouse click on the flash drive partiton and select "Unmount."
  • Right click again and select "Format to" -->"fat32" then click "Apply" from the top menu. Accept the warning. Close GParted.
  • To "Exit" Puppy Linux, click "Menu," "Shutdown," and "Reboot." You will be presented with a screen asking to save any personal settings. Arrow over to "Do Not Save" and press <Enter>. The system will reboot. Remove the CD.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 vishwajeet19

vishwajeet19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:30 AM

thank you @ARTROOKS

checking it now and will report if something comes up.....

#4 EmanuelJars

EmanuelJars

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:16 AM

Hi,follow the steps

1.Open a new note pad file.

2.Copy this

cd\
reg add “HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies” /t Reg_dword /v

WriteProtect /f /d 0

3.save it as DISABLEWP.BAT

4.Then copy it to start up folder.

When you insert a pendrive it remove write protection.If it becomes.Or simply use any software which fix this kind of problem.You may try LONG PATH Tool.It may help you.Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users