Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easy Ram Question(?)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bob-E

bob-E

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:54 AM

Is 2x256 better than 1x512 or is it 6 of 1 half dozen of other?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:42 AM

Provided you system can handle more RAM (768, 1gb,..) and you see a need to expand later, 512mb would be a better choice. If it's an older computer and you don't game or video edit, 2-256mb sticks will serve you fine, and save you $20 to $50 depending on the brand memory you buy.
I would go for the 1-512 myself.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:31 PM

I heard from some that if you have dual-channel memory cababilities with your motherboard that two sticks are better then one?

Is this true acklan?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:26 PM

Suspose to be. I install a 1 gb chip in a new dell last weekend and it worked fine with the 256mb chip that was already there. 1.2gb. DDR2
RDRAM is suspose to br installed ONLY in pairs. Although the Dell GX200 is one of the exceptions.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:49 AM

Generally, dual channel is better/faster than single channel. But most motherboards that support dual channel will also support single channel. Also, I haven't noticed a whole whopping bit of difference between single and dual channel RAM myself.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:50 PM

Just a little easy ram question if you have two sticks like a 512 and a 256 should you put the 512 in the 1st channel and the 256 in the second or does this really do anything...

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:47 PM

Ok, one stick of each on seperate channels should work if im not mistaken. You would want to put the 512 on the first channel and the 256 on the second.
correct me if im
If I'm wrong correct me b/c I dont believe I know about this DRAM for when I upgrade my computer.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users