Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jackw163q

jackw163q

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

I am an older guy from Michigan, unemployed now for almost 3 years. Previously I had worked as a Programmer/Analyst on Mainframe computers for over 25 years. I have been attending Macomb Community College for almost 3 years, through Michigan's "No Worker Left Behind" program, pursuing and Associates of Applied Science degree in Information Technology - Programming. Hopefully this will be my last semester; if I pass the two required courses I am taking, I will graduate in May.

I am here looking for help to remove a root kit, trojan, viruses and adware. Infection with a root kit started in Aug. 2011 - Norton tech support couldn't remove it, saying it was a new infection they were just starting to study. Since I had been out of work for 2 1/2 years at that point, I wasn't looking to spend money to remove the infection, using some other Virus removal service. The PC and application software was still working ok, but all software I installed to try and remove the infection would run for maybe 30 seconds and then was killed, along with the shortcut link. In September 2011 I created an Image Backup of the primary hard drive (infected C: drive and D: drive) on to the second hard drive in the PC, because every time I started the PC up, a Bios message appeared, saying that the C: drive was going to fail. I kept using the infected PC with the failing C: drive until the end of December 2011, when I finally paid to have all the infections removed. I bought a Western Digital 1TB USB drive to do another Image Backup to, now that the primary hard drive was clean, but as luck would have it, the drive failed before I ran the Image Backup. I have installed a new primary hard drive and restored the Image Backup from September 2011, which contained all the infections. So now I am here hoping to get the infections removed from the new primary hard drive!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

Hello and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

For your virus problem you should start a new topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users