Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

missing windows/systems32/config/system

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 aggietime11

aggietime11

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

only thing i have on the screen is a black screen telling me to run setup and press r while using the setup disk. have the cd in and can not get it to do anything. Help please

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

What computer model is this PC?

Tekken

#3 aggietime11

aggietime11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

hp pavillion entertainment pc running windows xp

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:37 AM

what do you get on the screen when you don't have the cd in the drive when you boot computer

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 aggietime11

aggietime11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:49 AM

Samething nothing different
Could my setting be off. If so what are they? Do u no

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

only thing i have on the screen is a black screen telling me to run setup

before you get to the black screen ,do get a screen with option to enter setup/bios ,maybe by hitting f1 or del .if so go into setup and make sure first boot is set to the harddrive first , usually found in boot options

#7 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

From what you have put in the title of the post "missing windows/systems32/cofig/system" I assume that is what you are also seeing on screen at boot up.

In that case your registry has become corrupted and you need to follow this Microsoft guide: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

In order to boot from the XP disc you need to first boot into your Bios and change the boot order so the CD drive is in first position.

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:04 AM

oops, i didn't read the title ,sorry,your link was suggested for that error in this post and it went a whole lot different ,check it out here .
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic440009.html

Edited by caperjac, 05 February 2012 - 10:07 AM.

#9 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

Damm, I had forgotten about that problem with OEM installs.

I think we need AustrAlien here to help with this one I'll PM him.

Edited by mark1956, 05 February 2012 - 12:25 PM.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

The steps taken in Garval's topic are appropriate to use in this situation: They are applicable whether the installation is OEM or not. In my opinion the method used to replace the registry hives is better (quicker, easier and safer) under all circumstances than attempting to use Microsoft's instructions.

:step1: Test the hard drive. (often neglected, but I consider it an important first step)

:step2: Create a bootable Linux CD/flashdrive. (Puppy is a good choice.)

:step3: Boot from the Linux device and perform the copy/paste and re-name instructions as provided.
  • (There must of course, be Windows System Restore points available in order to be able to do this.)

Edited by AustrAlien, 05 February 2012 - 05:16 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

This will get you started with a hard drive test. Run the extended test and post the results, if it carries out any repairs run it again.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturer's diagnostics for ISO (CD) not the one for Windows.

When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD.

In Windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to burn image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the file you have downloaded from the links below. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos.

Excelstore Use EStest CD image
Hitachi/IBM Use the Drive Fitness Test - CD Image.
Seagate, Samsung, Maxtor & Quantum Follow links for SeaTools
Western Digital

Toshiba/Fujitsu
If you have a Toshiba/Fujitsu hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users