Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Tried Everything

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Choadus13

Choadus13

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

Hi,

Started up my computer yesterday and it was fine for about a min and then everything closed. After that all icons are not responding. Programs will not open.

I am running windows 7 on a Sony Vaio. I had not downloaded anything or changed anything, it just happened. I tried to restore, and it will restore although nothing will change. Still will not open anything. I am using this computer now so some things work. To get to Iexplorer I have to go into help and Vaio web help to bring it up. Pics will open and folders will open to view items such as songs, although they will not play.

I am able to download programs and apps, but they will not run or install. Sometimes I get a "Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" error, but usually nothing. I have tried Rkill and all the other extensions or names they offer. All kinds of scanners and malware AVG,Microsoft,MBAM etc... Nothing.. And I have tried it all in safe mode too..... Nothing seems to work. I am sure I have left a few things I have tried too.

I am lost?

Please Help

Thank You!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tzimisharris

tzimisharris

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

Hi,
Its likely to have a problem in windows installer
First of all you can do 2-3 things to see the situation Windows Installer Service.
1st
open services( start menu and type services) and check whether the service Windows Installer is started
2nd
Unregister and register Windows installer to do this
open start menu and type MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER in search bar
then the same for MSIEXEC /REGSERVER in search bar
3rd clean any pending installation to do this you have to open registry (by open start menu and type regedit in search bar) and then navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress and delete entry in this key. If there is no InProgress key don't do anything
also navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer and ensure that the value data for InstallerLocation is C:\Windows\system32\(if C is your disk)
reboot the system and see the results

If this doesn't work I would suggest you to check windows logs from the event viewer for any "recent error".
You can access event viewer by going to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools
I suppose that there would be a lot of errors so you can boot in safe mode in order to avoid some unnecessary sound in your logs. Also you can remember the boot time and filter the errors from that period. Its more likely for your error to be in System logs or Applications. Because the error starts from the beginning of startup process you have to concentrate in the 2-3 first erros(remember the time).
If you are lucky you will find the root or the "child of the root" of the problem and we can discuss it further. If you are not we have to take more drastic measures.
Friendly,
Haris

Edited by tzimisharris, 03 February 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#3 Choadus13

Choadus13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

Hi. Thanks! I am glad someone can help...hopefully.

OK, I tried all the first steps that you said and that did not work. I did notice that the installer was not on. Dont know if that means anything, but i changed it and did everything as instructed to no avail.

Your second part, the event log. This comes up a lot. You can see by the time stamp this was yesterday morning. It came up at last boot as well. Many other times too. Also, there are many apps that say they all timed out and could not load in a timely fashion.... Any more ideas? Thank You So Much!

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 2/2/2012 9:09:54 AM
Event ID: 7000
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Owner-VAIO
Description:
The Application Virtualization Service Agent service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7000</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-02T16:09:54.191783600Z" />
<EventRecordID>133560</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="608" ThreadID="612" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Owner-VAIO</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">Application Virtualization Service Agent</Data>
<Data Name="param2">%%1053</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Edited by Choadus13, 03 February 2012 - 11:10 PM.

#4 tzimisharris

tzimisharris

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hi again,
As first step boot on safe mode and run msconfig, examine the programs that start on startup. Disable the unnecessary and close the suspicious.You can google when you are not sure!!! Its not so easy but you can have a look to the services too and see if there is something suspicious, if you are not sure don't do it. I know that because you have tried to run your computer in safe mode either there is not something that you can do or you have infected by a trojan horse that hides its payload in a legitimate service or process. I want only to stop spreading the problem to a next boot. Sometimes processes enable trojan horses to the next boot and infect the pc again..

It is likely that you have problem with the SCM. The SCM is an important component that boots early in Windows systems and handles several key functions of the windows as you can see here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms685150(v=vs.85).aspx

After check the startup processes try something else... the problem may be created by corrupted system files. So for a basic remedy you can run a System File Checker tool. So run the command line as administrator and type
sfc /scannow and then enter.

Then restart...in safe mode again....and see if your problem is solved. If yes boot in normal mode and see if there is all okay...

I suppose that a more drastic solution that could solve your problem is to run the 'upgrade' installation from a dvd of windows 7...

#5 Choadus13

Choadus13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hi, Thanks

Did not work. I tried all of that. I disabled some programs, all programs and a combo of them several times. Scan would only work in safe mode and it ran fine and everything was ok, I guess, it didnt say anything. Everything is as before. Thanks a ton for the help! I do not have any disks or an IMG backup... I know, I know, but shoulda coulda woulda, I know, my bad. Any other options. To me its crazy that all of that is wrong with this computer, yet I am able to still do this! I mean...what the hell. Thanks again. I hope there is something else.

Thanks

#6 tzimisharris

tzimisharris

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

I think that you are not infected by any virus but your system is corrupted. If you are not have a windows disk you don't have many options... Just for the record check the device manager whether there is any unknown device or with corrupted drivers... I'm not there so is difficult to understand the exact problem.

#7 Choadus13

Choadus13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for everything. I ordered the disk. Thanks!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users