Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Upgrade from Vista

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JannEd

JannEd

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

A couple of you know that I was given two laptops to clean off the Win 7 Security 2012. The one is not as bad as the other. Cleaned the HP (thanks for your help). The Compaq was her husband's and after he gave it to me to fix, he called and gave me the laptop. I cleaned a virus off it last year, similar to the new one, so I do know how to reinstall Win 7. BUT for some unexplained reason, and probably to my advancing age, lol, I don't remember it going the way this has gone. Anyhow, now I have THREE instances of Win 7 on one partition, I think. At least when I booted up after putting in the product code, it asked me which of three I wanted to start. Is there a way to get rid of all instances of Win 7, leaving just Vista, so I can start over?

Thanks in advance for a good answer!! Oh, it is a 32 bit machine.

Jann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rdqronos

rdqronos

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

If you upgraded from Vista to one of the three instances of Windows 7 running, then you would have to reinstall Vista with a Vista reinstall disk, which aren't really sold anymore. If you want to have just one instance of Windows 7 running, then I'd recommend wiping the drive and reinstalling 7.

#3 JannEd

JannEd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

If you upgraded from Vista to one of the three instances of Windows 7 running, then you would have to reinstall Vista with a Vista reinstall disk, which aren't really sold anymore. If you want to have just one instance of Windows 7 running, then I'd recommend wiping the drive and reinstalling 7.

First, what I have is the Win 7 upgrade. This is one of those machines that came with no disks but that doesn't matter. I know there is a way to reinstall the upgrade that gets rid of all the files he had. I did it once before to this machine when he clicked the wrong thing and had an ugly virus. I don't have three instances any longer, not sure where the other two went.

I have a lot of his files on the C: and two freakin Windows.old files which I really need to get rid of from the RUN command. Thanks for answering me.

J :busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users