Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cooling Fan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gman

gman

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:40 AM

Please use simple jargon, I'm a computer novice. Hello, I have a dell latitude c610, with mobile intel pentium 3.
I noticed the other day while using my computer, the fan was'nt on. So, I came to this sight and found something about a program called Speedfan. So, I downloaded it and then clicked on the icon, and as soon as I clicked on the icon I heard one fan come on and stay on and another fan came on for a couple of seconds and shut off. And as soon as I closed out Speedfan I can hear it come back on for a couple of seconds and then shut off again, while the other fan continuosly runs. Could someone please tell me why my fan does not seem to work until I open Speedfan. Also, I don't understand how to use this program and could it harm my computer. I didn't change anything within Speedfan, just looked.

Thanx :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:36 AM

Laptops are equipped with temp. controlled fans to save power when running in battery mode, the fan will automatically come on when the temp. raises. I do not recommend using these programs on laptops for they may interfere with the temp. controlled sensors on the MB. If you suspect your laptop is running hot feel the bottom somewhere around the center if it feels like it may be overheating then log into the BIOS & check the temp.
Do not use the laptop on a surface that may plug the bottom circulation vents.

As for Speedfan I don't use these kind of programs, if I suspect heat problems I will log into the BIOS and check the temp. Most all BIOS monitor this unless the MB is very old.

#3 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:31 AM

jman, i think u dont have anything to worry about. even if u'r pc gets too hot, it'll b automatically turned off & u'll know that some thing is wrong.

jb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users