Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High pitch sound from video card - and NO MONITOR

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Pere92

Pere92

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

I am on a Gateway 510S with Windows XP. I do have an installed video card (I have had it for some time...I will have to open up and look to see which it is. NVIDIA? Anyway, yesterday this high pitched noise was coming from the computer so I figured it was dusty etc. Cleaned fans with canned air and still got the bad sound. Figured out it was coming directly from the video card and also was kind of chugging. Opened up, cleaned it out, but now not only do I still have the noise, but the keyboard, monitor, and my network USB are all not coming on. I am on another computer to ask for assistance. I know the computer is old, but when I first heard the noise, I could still use the keyboard and see the screen and I figured if necessary I could change the card out, but now I am afraid I can't do anything! It's my kids computer for school work and such and I would love to get it going again, even if I have to buy a new video card.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

I would start by removing the graphics card from the PC and use the on-board graphics. You will then be able to see if the noise disappears and secondly if the other faults are rectified.

The noise you have described sounds very much like a failing fan, that could also be the CPU fan.

#3 Pere92

Pere92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

So just remove it and switch the monitor to the original port and try again? Will do...

#4 Pere92

Pere92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

Ok I was right about the noise being the video card BUT I still get no response from the monitor and no lights on keyboard and no network usb connection. The comp starts up and runs but never sounds like its getting to Windows when it would get to that lower sounding hum...and of course without being able to see anything on the monitor....i dont know if Im right or not. Im very nervous.

#5 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

Ok, so you are getting absolutely nothing on the monitor?

Check inside the PC to make quite sure you didn't dislodge any of the connectors, pay particular attention to the hard drive.

When you switch on again see if you can hear the hard drive spin up.

#6 Pere92

Pere92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

Ok I opened up and made sure everything was tight and the monitor came on as well as keyboard and usb network. Thank you for that tip!! The high pitch sound is clearly from video card as it is not happening now that its out. I will try cleaning it very well and very carefully and putting it back. I did get a start message about a memory decrease....? Does that mean I ruined something else or does it have to do with the video card removal? Uggghh.

Anyway, have you ever heard of a video card getting better (ha) from high pitched whining or should I just plan on replacing it? Its prob 6 years old. My son used to play a lot of PC games but since his discovery of XBOX360 this computer is for school and facebook.

Thanks again for your advice. What a relief to see the screen come up.

#7 Pere92

Pere92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

Well, I did my best to clean up the card fan and put it back. Everything came back on and that high pitch sound happened for about a second and stopped. The whole machine sounds kind of "heavy" but it has for a while. It was that high pitch thing which got me to open up. Any recommendations I can afford to give it a boost so I get some more time out of it?

Thank you again. It was awful to see no screen/keyboard.

#8 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:29 AM

Not sure about the "memory decrease" message, check the RAM sticks by pulling them out and reseating.

The noise from the fan simply means the fan is worn out and the bearing has run dry, you could try using a drop or two of very fine machine oil, but better to replace the fan.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

Personal Opinion if it works on the built-in video and you say no more gaming? Leave the video card out and use the built-in video.

Since you say

this computer is for school and Facebook.

The built in should be more than good enough.
Save the money you could spend on a video card towards a new computer down the road instead.

I agree with mark1956, The memory size decrease sounds like one of the memory is loose.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 04 February 2012 - 12:44 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 Pere92

Pere92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

Thank you both for your help and advice. I think I may go back to the original. As mentioned one kid is on xbox and the other is using it for internet/school and will be taking a laptop to college in Aug. I will check on the mem cards inside as well.

#11 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users