Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates fail on Vista, found Trojan.Agent trace

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 claytone

claytone

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

Hi --

My brother-in-law has two Windows Updates failing to install on his HP/Compaq laptop with Vista Business. They are "Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB2596764)", which fails with code 0x800F066F, and "Security update for the .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 (KB2656353)", which fails with code 0x663.

He has Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security installed, and it reports "Secure".

This has been going on for well over a year. I think Microsoft put out new versions of one or both of these fixes since it started. Other Windows Updates are installing just fine.

Uninstalling .NET Framework 1.1 fails. Installing .NET Framework 1.1 also fails.

I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to see if it would show a problem. It reported this:

Registry Keys Detected: 1
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1A26F07F-0D60-4835-91CF-1E1766A0EC56} (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

A second run of MBAM was totally clean.

There's no other evidence of a problem, such as speed issues or browser redirects.

Are there other tools which might help? Or is it best to call Microsoft's "PC Safety" number and let them have at it, since these are security updates?

Is the bad registry key reported by MBAM an infection in itself, or it just a remnant that Trend Micro failed to clean?

Thanks for any assistance....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 claytone

claytone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

Haven't seen a response here as yet, but did resolve the problem with KB2656353.

The first step was to run the .NET cleanup tool found at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

This tool removes all versions of .NET

After that, reinstalled .NET 3.5 SP1 from Microsoft.

These steps cleared the issue with KB2656353. Some other updates were also installed at the same time.

The PowerPoint 2007 update (KB2596764) is still failing, however. Office 2007 *is* installed, so it's probably worth pursuing.

At this point, it's looking like there's no active malware on the problem computer (maybe just some ineptware, from Redmond, Wash.)

Any expert opinion would still be appreciated.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

Did you try to download and install standalone update?
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=28515

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 claytone

claytone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:58 AM

Tried the standalone version of the update for PPT 2007, got "an error occurred while running detection". I'm pondering using the "repair" option of add/remove programs as a next step.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

Give it a shot.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users