Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Drive Not Working - Diagnostic Info Inside

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PastorGeiger

PastorGeiger

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

Hey folks!

I'm on my wife's laptop, and in the last month or so it has lost the ability to read anything in the CD/DVD drive. I have tried audio CD's, data CD's, and DVD's, and at no time does the computer register that a disc is inserted. I can still hear attempts at spinning, but never get any successful reading. My specs are below.

Dell Inspiron 1545
Running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

The drive is an Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7585H.

After Googling a bit, I ran a Boot Setup diagnostic. I think that's what you call it - I hit F12 at the startup screen, and selected Diagnostics. The set of tests that ran eventually showed me an error.
Error code 2000_0147: Spindle test failed.

Am I correct in assuming that the spindle is the little thing that spins the disc in the drive? If the spindle has actually failed, it would account for the failure to read discs, although I can hear attempts at spinning.
Any thoughts on a fix? I'm worried that the drive is done for. Warranty is long since expired. I've thought about un/re-installing the drivers, but I want to check with your wisdom before I do anything else.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

I believe that the drive test requires a blank disc or a good disc in the drive, Not sure which, did you meet the requirements for that test?

Quick question, Does the drive show up in My computer (XP) Computer in Vista / Win7?

When you put a known good disc in the drive look at the light on the drive itself. Does it flash for a few seconds and then stop? Or does the light keep flashing and the drive keeps sounding as if it were trying to read the disc but failing?

Is this one of the Dells that has a slot the disc goes into or does it have a drawer that pops open when you hit the eject button?

If the drive is showing up in My computer that is one thing. If it isn't showing up there then we look at the software.

With my computer open does anything change when you put a disc in the drive?

If you have a bootable disc put that into the drive and turning on the computer press F12 when the Dell logo appears and select boot from the CD/DVD/Optical drive and see if that works. If that works it sounds like probable Software issues. If it doesn't work then probable Drive issue.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 04 February 2012 - 11:15 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 PastorGeiger

PastorGeiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

I have not yet done the CD test with a known good disk in the drive. I'll be trying that shortly.

The drive does show up in My Computer.

When I put a disk into the drive the light is staying on...stays solid for a few seconds and then stops. The attempt-to-read noise also stops at that point.

Nothing changes on My Computer when I put the disc in the drive. In the address bar, the green progress bar does move from left to right but nothing happens after that.

I've got here the Dell Operating System Reinstall Disk. I believe I could boot to that. This might be a silly question, but to your knowledge can I boot to that and then exit the installation without messing up my current Windows install?

Thanks.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

When the Dell Logo appears on the screen Press F12 (Toshibas too) and select the DVD drive to boot from. Make sure the disc is in the drive first. If the computer boots from the reinstall disc then the drive is OK for DVDs. It is a slightly customized Version of the generic OEM disc with some Dell customizations.

You can use that disc to re-install the OS or to get to the repair options.

The drive uses different lasers for CD or DVD so one type can work and not the other.

Assuming that the drive is not a slot type and has a drawer when it is open look at the lens on the laser with a magnifying glass. It should be clean and shiny. Smokers for example tend to kill drives early. I do not suggest cleaning the lens if it doesn't need it. That laser lens is not solid mounted and thus is easy to damage. It has the ability to move up and down as needed to focus. As well as moving from the inside of the disc to the outside of the disc.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 PastorGeiger

PastorGeiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

Howdy all!

So, it's been a while since I touched this problem, but I'm back at it, trying to fix the wife's DVD drive.

rotor123, following your last comment, I have tried booting from the Windows Reinstall Disc - the machine didn't even want to recognize it. When I selected "CD/DVD" in the boot selection, it just went straight to the normal HDD boot process. Various attempts to use DVDs, CDs, CD-ROMs, etc all have the same effect -- if they're put in while the sstem is running, it tries to read them for a second or two, then gives up.

The optical drive does appear in the My Computer menu, but any time I try to Open/Explore, it just asks me to put a disc in the drive.

Any thoughts, if anybody sees this post? Am I just looking at replacing the drive?

Thanks!

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

Replace the drive.  This error - Error code 2000_0147: Spindle test failed indicates a hardware issue.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

It truly does sound as if it is time to replace the drive. The problem is I'm not sure if You can use a standard laptop drive. Some of them have special faceplates on them. Sometimes They are slot loading rather than drawer loading.

Then You will need to know IDE or SATA also.

Easiest is a USB external.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users