Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

0x00000024 error, can't start Windows in any mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 franwizard13

franwizard13

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

To start of, before I got the 0x00000024 error at boot, I got a 0x0000000A error and couldn't boot in normal mode. To sum up, I don't think there's an easy solution except for doing a Repair install of XP, a Clean Install of XP or a Clean Install of Windows 7 (as I have a valid license and it's a good time to use it. Anyway, I'll post here all the things that have happened so if someone has the patience to read it and has any advice, it would be welcome.
These are the things that took me to the STOP error with code 0x0000000A.

-One day, while I was in Firefox my antivirus/firewall ESET Smart Security 5 started asking to give permision to some (allegedly) Windows processes. I denied permision to everything and looked at the active connections on the firewall settings. My PC was connecting to a lot of IP's, even with Firefox closed and no other program running. One was from Romania, other from Panama.
-Suspecting spyware, I installed Spybot Search & Destroy, didn't activate TeaTimer or something like that an run a scan, with zero results.
-Next day I start the computer, bam! BSOD telling: STOP:0x0000000A (0xE2228008,0x000000FF,0x00000001,0x80610948). And it didn't generate a memory dump.
-I can (better said, could) boot in Safe Mode. I tried to use a Restoration point before I had Spybot S&D installed, with no luck. I then uninstalled Spybot S&D, installed SUPER Antispyware and run a scan which found 3 trojans (Gen-IRCbot, Gen-Skelten,Gen-Autoit).
-Things still didn't work. I checked the memory dump option, selected the option that generates the smallest dump possible, but still I couldn't get it to work. The partition where I have Windows installed has about 1,9 GB of free space.
-I have another partition with Ubuntu installed, and I have been using it to check email, play small games, Firefox, etc with no problems. (I'm pretty sure it isn't a hardware problem)

After that, came the 0x00000024 BSOD

The steps that I think caused the error are:
-Booted in Safe Mode with Command Prompt and scheduled a chkdsk of the main partition (where WIndows is installed) after restart.
-Restarted and tried to boot in normal mode, getting the usual 0x0000000A blue screen
-Restarted and tried to boot in Safe Mode with Command Prompt, it took longer than usual to load, and the process seemed frozen when loading all the drivers, so I shut down the computer.
-Now, no matter which mode I try I get the STOP 0x00000024

Things I've tried so far:
-I have dual boot with Ubuntu and Ubuntu works perfectly (it's in another partition but same HDD).
-I have run tests from Seagate to check the integrity of the hard drive and it has no errors (I run the long one).
-I had the Recovery console installed, but when I select on the boot menu I get a black screen
-I inserted a WinXP SP2 CD and used the recovery console there to run chkdsk C: /R . Each time I do it I get a line of text during the process that states chkdsk is doing addional operations or repairing (or something like that, I can remember).I get it 6 times during the process, but afterwards it ends correctly and gives information about the blocks of the hard drive.
-I have tried to replace the ntfs.sys file for the one in the XP SP2 install CD and from the ServicePack folder inside the WINDOWS folder.
-I've downloaded an ISO of the Recovery Console alone, and run chkdsk c: /R from there, and all I get is "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"

After doing all this I keep getting the 0x00000024 error, what should I do?

Some info:I have a C partition with Windows installed (it's a small one, about 30 GB). I have anoher two partitions with all my documents, music, pictures,installed programs and games, etc. And then I have another partition with Ubuntu. As I said, I'd prefer to fix it, but if I don't have another option, I'd like to keep the two partitions with my data. I can use my Packard Bell DVD to restore the installation of XP or to do a Clean Install of XP or use a Windows 7 DVD to install it instead of XP.

Thanks in advance

Edited by hamluis, 03 February 2012 - 02:52 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected, put on Unbootables list.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for pertinent info :thumbsup: .

IMO, the malware issue is the overriding concern that I would have...I would assume (perhaps incorrectly) that all subsequent problems/errors derive from that.

A clean install probably negates the implications caused by malware, but there are such things as router infections and more insidious malware, so I am not in position to state such categorically.

I suggest that I move your topic to a malware forum where the more knowledgeable can take a look and advise.

If you decide that's too much trouble for you and think that a clean install will be more expeditious and satisfactory...let us know.

I will also add your topic to a list we maintain of "unbootable systems due to malware" and this will ensure that proper personnel take a look and attempt to assist you.

Louis

#3 franwizard13

franwizard13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

Hi, thanks for the fast answer!
As I was able to boot a few times in safe mode before the 0x00000024 error started, I assumed this error wasn't caused by malware (although perhaps it caused the 0x0000000A stop error) but by the fact that I turned the power off as it was booting (the steps I described in the 0x00000024 paragraph).
What I wanted to do is first fix the 0x00000024 STOP error and then (assuming we fix it) perhaps post in the malware forum about the 0x0000000A (which is directly related to malware or to Spybot S&D)

#4 franwizard13

franwizard13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

Today I've done a clean install which has led me to losing a lot of data and having a lot of applications on another partition which won't work (I have to install them again). I don't need further help. Thanks for all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users