Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP wont boot after system restore virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Thetruest

Thetruest

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Hi, after doing a bit of search i believe my problem is almost exactly like the one dealt with here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic425827.html

The difference is i was updating to firefox 8, when my computer started to slo down considerably and spaz, and i got some false malware looking alerts about damaged hd clusters and an equally fake looking system restore window. my PC was too slow, so i rebooted. I have not been able to use my pc since.

i can not boot into xp under any option, not even safe or 'last good configuration', when i try to it just goes back to Post screen. Trying to boot normaly brings up a blue screen for a split second that u can't read in time, then quikly reboots back to post again.

should i go ahead with the initial instructions in the linked thread above? This was around the same ttime as that was posted, bout a few weeks after. Due to certain reasons i have not gone about a full reformat/reinstall and would prefer an attempt at bringing my PC back up again first. Any help with this work of human inanity would be much appreciated.

More info/EDIT:
I bleieve i had some security holes in my PC for two reasons: i had not recently updated my XP at home after staying out of town for an extended period of time before being prompted for the firefox install (a browser i loathe and will never use again), and i had the XP Anti-Virus 2011 malware beforehand in the summer which i went thru removing, but may hav not completely gotten off my systems registry.

Edited by Thetruest, 03 February 2012 - 07:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:30 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.
If you are unable to create a log because your computer cannot start up successfully please provide detailed information about the Windows version you are using: What we in particular need to know is version, edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system. [/b]
If you are unsure about any of these caracteristics, just let us know and we'll help you figuring it out. Please also tell us if you have your Windows CD/DVD handy.

Please include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those we suggest while we are cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so we know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.

Even if you have already provided information about your PC, we need a new log to see what has changed since you originally posted your problem.
We need to create an OTL Report
  • Please download OTL from one of the following mirrors:
  • Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.
  • In the custom scan box paste the following:
    msconfig
    safebootminimal
    activex
    drivers32
    netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    wininit.exe
    hlp.dat
    /md5stop
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:
    • OTL.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extra.txt<--Will be minimized

In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see a button called Watch Topic.I suggest you click it and select Immediate E-Mail notification and click on Proceed. This way you will be advised when we respond to your topic and facilitate the cleaning of your machine.

After 5 days if a topic is not replied to we assume it has been abandoned and it is closed.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Thetruest

Thetruest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

Its Windows XP Pro, the rest im not 100% sure; i think SP 3 and 32bit. I am not sure what is meant by version and edition. Due to the removal of the XP Anti-Virus 2011 malware, which can break auto updates in the registry, coupled with a prolonged stay out of town afterwards I had not updated XP in a long time. I do not currently have the cd on hand but i can look for it.

As i said windows does not even boot so i can not even use the program u linked to. U can Goto the link in my original post if u want to see something that seems just like my problem on this site.

any other information about my XP u want me to try and recall or help me in doin so leme know.

Edited by Thetruest, 07 February 2012 - 06:20 PM.

#4 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,784 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:59 AM

Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/unetbootin-xpud-windows-latest.exe & http://noahdfear.net/downloads/bootable/xPUD/xpud-0.9.2.iso to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Insert your USB drive
  • Press Start > My Computer > right click your USB drive > choose Format > Quick format
  • Double click the unetbootin-xpud-windows-387.exe that you just downloaded
  • Press Run then OK
  • Select the DiskImage option then click the browse button located on the right side of the textbox field.
  • Browse to and select the xpud-0.9.2.iso file you downloaded
  • Verify the correct drive letter is selected for your USB device then click OK
  • It will install a little bootable OS on your USB device
  • Once the files have been written to the device you will be prompted to reboot ~ do not reboot and instead just Exit the UNetbootin interface
  • After it has completed do not choose to reboot the clean computer simply close the installer
  • Next download http://noahdfear.net/downloads/driver.sh to your USB
  • Remove the USB and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer
  • Press F12 and choose to boot from the USB
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Confirm that you see driver.sh that you downloaded there
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type bash driver.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located on your USB drive named report.txt
  • Remove the USB drive and insert back in your working computer and navigate to report.txt

Please note - all text entries are case sensitive
Copy and paste the report.txt for my review

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,784 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users