Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fatal! Inconsistent Data!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

#1 Night Train

Night Train

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

Background:

Primary HDD: WD 320GB IDE partitioned into two separate partitions, one containing my OS.

Story:

Early today I left my computer for a little while. Upon returning I was greeted with the following BSOD:
Posted Image

So I tried some of the usual things. The following things were attempted but to no avail:

-Restarting
-Any sort of safe mode (Safe mode would begin to load but hang at giveio.sys)
-Last known good configuration

Eventually I grabbed my Hiren boot cd v14.1, upon booting it up I chose the option to boot from the Hard Drive.
It immediately gave me the following:

Posted Image

It then however continued to the windows Boot screen and went on to work as it normally would. ( I am currently posting this information
from the computer in question )Using this method, I am able to boot every time.

Then using Hiren's I did the following:

-Ran chkdsk on both of my partitions.
-Ran memtest86.

Neither of those things has fixed the issue. I'm not sure what to do next, so I figured I'd ask. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

System manufacturer and model?

You ran the chkdsk /r command? Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Reboot...the command will execute before booting into Windows.

I've never used Hiren's so I can only guess that those error messages indicate a problem with your partition or hard drive.

Louis

#3 Night Train

Night Train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

System manufacturer and model?

You ran the chkdsk /r command? Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Reboot...the command will execute before booting into Windows.

I've never used Hiren's so I can only guess that those error messages indicate a problem with your partition or hard drive.

Louis

It's a custom build, if you'd like me to list every part I'd be more than willing to.

I'll try the repair command and post the results.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

No, custom builds are fine...minimizes potential complications from OEMs installing whatever and creating hidden partitions :).

Louis

#5 Night Train

Night Train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

No, custom builds are fine...minimizes potential complications from OEMs installing whatever and creating hidden partitions :).

Louis

I ran the repair function. It did not find anything that needed to be repaired and thus nothing has changed =(.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

Hi

That's a tricky error. Usually it is the result of an error with a piece of hardware telling its driver to use a piece of memory that it is not allowed to use. If that's the case for you, it appears to be an integral piece of hardware that even loads in the DOS like boot of your boot CD.

Here are some things that you can try.

First see if you were lucky enough to have a minidump file created in c:\windows\minidump
If so attach it to a post here.

Are you using the secondary IDE port for anything?

Is there anything else plugged into the Primary IDE cable like a CD drive?

Disconnect the CD drive and try booting.

If you have any cards plugged into the motherboard, pull them out one by one trying to boot the computer each time. Especially, network cards, modems, sound cards and USB cards.

If you have a video card and video on the motherboard try removing the video card and plug the monitor into the motherboard and boot.

See what happens if you try booting without the keyboard plugged in.

Have you upgraded any drivers shortly before this happened? Have you added any new hardware recently?

James

EDIT: I see Louis posted while I was typing this, try his suggestion first :)

Edited by NeverSayDie, 03 February 2012 - 01:33 PM.

#8 Night Train

Night Train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

I won't have access to the computer until Sunday evening, at that time I'll try Louis' suggestion and then NeverSayDie's and report back here, thank you guys for the help so far.

#9 Night Train

Night Train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:37 AM

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

I downloaded BlueScreenView, however after running it and checking manually it seems I have no minidump files to be viewed. =(

Hi

That's a tricky error. Usually it is the result of an error with a piece of hardware telling its driver to use a piece of memory that it is not allowed to use. If that's the case for you, it appears to be an integral piece of hardware that even loads in the DOS like boot of your boot CD.

Here are some things that you can try.

First see if you were lucky enough to have a minidump file created in c:\windows\minidump
If so attach it to a post here.

Are you using the secondary IDE port for anything?

Is there anything else plugged into the Primary IDE cable like a CD drive?

Disconnect the CD drive and try booting.

If you have any cards plugged into the motherboard, pull them out one by one trying to boot the computer each time. Especially, network cards, modems, sound cards and USB cards.

If you have a video card and video on the motherboard try removing the video card and plug the monitor into the motherboard and boot.

See what happens if you try booting without the keyboard plugged in.

Have you upgraded any drivers shortly before this happened? Have you added any new hardware recently?

James

EDIT: I see Louis posted while I was typing this, try his suggestion first :)

As stated above I have no minidump files.

The primary connection on the primary IDE cable is connected to one 320GB HDD and the secondary connection is connected to a 500GB HDD. The secondary IDE port is connected to a floppy drive. I unplugged the slave first, had no affect, and then the floppy drive, which also had no affect.

Unplugging the CD/DVD drive had no affect, the CD/DVD drive is sata.

Aside from my video card, I have a sound card and a capture card, unplugging one or both had no affect.

My motherboard does not have onboard video.

The keyboard is USB and I attempted to boot without any USB's plugged in at all. No affect.

I hadn't updated any drivers recently, it's been at least a month. No new hardware has been installed either.

This is quite the annoyance =( I do however thank you both for the help.

#10 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

Hi

When you get it in to Windows using your boot CD and getting past the errors, have you looked in the Device Manager for anything with a question mark or exclamation mark on it?

BTW, every time I see your username I get the song Night Train by James Brown stuck in my head. Not a bad thing :)

James

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

I can only guess that those error messages indicate a problem with your partition or hard drive.

That seems a reasonable interpretation.

Check your system HDD with the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic utility.
  • The exact same tool is used for all Western Digital hard drives, so do not concern yourself about the reference to a different model in the following instructions.

:step1: Go to the WD Caviar Black Downloads page and download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
  • Unzip (right-click > Extract all) the file when you have downloaded it, to get to the .ISO image file.
    (Read the instructions while you are there.)

:step2: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
    Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • Run the Short/Quick test and then the Long/Extended test].
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
    • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
  • Please let us know the results of the tests.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#12 Night Train

Night Train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

Hi

When you get it in to Windows using your boot CD and getting past the errors, have you looked in the Device Manager for anything with a question mark or exclamation mark on it?

BTW, every time I see your username I get the song Night Train by James Brown stuck in my head. Not a bad thing :)

James

The device manager doesn't have any question marks or exclamations, I do have a 1394 adapter disabled, but I did that purposefully.

I also tested the RAM sticks one at a time, which had no affect.

And well it's a good song, so I don't blame you (=

I can only guess that those error messages indicate a problem with your partition or hard drive.

That seems a reasonable interpretation.

Check your system HDD with the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic utility.
  • The exact same tool is used for all Western Digital hard drives, so do not concern yourself about the reference to a different model in the following instructions.

:step1: Go to the WD Caviar Black Downloads page and download Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
  • Unzip (right-click > Extract all) the file when you have downloaded it, to get to the .ISO image file.
    (Read the instructions while you are there.)

:step2: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
  • Click Posted Image

• (You may need to change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • Run the Short/Quick test and then the Long/Extended test].
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
    • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
  • Please let us know the results of the tests.

I'll go ahead and burn that disc and report back with the results, thank you for the help.

#13 Night Train

Night Train
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

So after downloading the file and extracting I burned it using imgburn, which I incidentally already had. After burning it to two separate discs, when using either of them I get the following error:

Posted Image

After checking both discs, the files are in the same directory, so I don't know what the problem is.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

Common problem: I can't at the moment recall the solution, so I suggest for now that you use SeaTools for DOS which will work satisfactorily on most brands of HDD.

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Click Posted Image

• (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

Googling "unable to locate the license agreement file dlglice.txt" indicates that the WD tool does not work on some hardware configurations (most probably related to this "the CD/DVD drive is sata"), and one solution is to use some other tool (such as SeaTools for DOS) to test the WD hard drive. Another solution would be to connect the HDD to a system on which the WD tool does work.

Edited by AustrAlien, 06 February 2012 - 08:44 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users