Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID 1 Failure on Dell Desktop

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

Hi All,
I have a Dell Dimension 5150 Desktop running 3GB RAM, Dual Core Processor on a RAID 1 Array with an Intel ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller at the wheel. My chipset is an Intel 945G Desktop.

Yesterday, I noticed, at bootup that one of my disk volumes was in a "Degraded" state, however the other was normal. Computer booted as normal.
Now, this has happened before, and I simply went into the Console (Matrix Storage Manager), right clicked the degraded member and marked it as "Normal". The rebuild started automatically. This got rid of the problem.

But not yesterday....
Instead, today, before I had a chance to do this, the OTHER member also degraded and I got a Blue Screen (didn't get the error code), but upon reboot, it said the array FAILED and both members had "Error Occurred."

I could not boot into Windows as it didn't "see" the hard drive.

I then proceeded to do Diagnostic tests on both hard drives in the Raid 1 (DELL Diagnostics CD I got with the box). All tests passed on both drives, so I think the drives are fine.

Next, I turned the computer off, turned it back on and at the messages about a failed array, it told me to hit <CTRL> <I> which I did. With that, I was able to re-instate one of the drives as functional. After that, I had to repair my Windows 7 startup using Startup repair in the WRE which was successful.

So, I'm now back at my desktop and rebuilding the other member.

SO MY QUESTION IS...

What happened? :huh: I don't believe it's the hard drive(s) as they both sound normal, have no bad sectors or errors and passed the long diagnostic tests with flying colors.
Is this a controller problem? If so, should I get it looked at or replaced? Or could it be something else?

This problem (of 1 disk degrading) occurs occasionally for no apparent reason. If I act fast enough and rebuild it, I'm fine, otherwise, the 2nd one fails as described above.

Looking for solutions and/or advice, THANKS A BUNCH! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users