Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sticky Mouse

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cedarrabbit

cedarrabbit

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

Thanks to "Jedi" and others for helping me get rid of virus - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic424365.html/page__st__15

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop using Windows Vista OS and Firefox browser. I am often unable to control the mouse. I will click on something and the mouse will "grab" it as though I was holding down the left button. If I click once on a scroll arrow, it will continue scrolling. If I click on one of several browser tabs I have open, it will grab a little "ghost" image of the tab and carry it with the mouse arrow, sometimes opening it in another window. I will click on a button and it will grab a ghost image of the button and carry it around as I move the mouse. I will highlight something and when I move the mouse, the highlight moves until I click again to stop it. Sometimes it takes numerous clicks to get it to respond. Yelling at it doesn't seem to help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

Yelling at it doesn't seem to help.

It usually helps with mine :lol:
When was the last time you used another mouse on that unit ??

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

Is this a physical external mouse you can swap with a different one, or is this the touchpad on the laptop? I ask this because I've had an experience with someone in the past referring to their touchpad as a mouse.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 cedarrabbit

cedarrabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

Sorry, it is the touch pad, not an external mouse.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:31 AM

Most likely a touchpad settings. I don't understand what is that clicking on something... The settings/properties found for the mouse or touchpad are specific when you click on any parts of the touchpad.

Tekken

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

I would try uninstalling the touchpad drivers, via Device Manager and via Add/Remove Programs...then rebooting and allowing them to reinstall.

Louis

#7 cedarrabbit

cedarrabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

I uninstalled the "pointing device" and drivers and it did not help at all. While I was looking at "mouse properties" I saw something called "clicklock" which, of course, is turned off. But it seems as though my pointing device would be doing these things if the clicklock were actually turned on. I did try turning it on and then off, but no difference.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

Tried another mouse as earlier suggested by Animal and check other mouse settings.

Tekken

#9 cedarrabbit

cedarrabbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

I bought an external usb mouse and checked the settings. They seem to be the same as the touch pad but the mouse does not have the same problems as the touch pad does. It works fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users