Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hitpro

hitpro

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

i'm looking to build an HTPC and i wanna buy 4 3TB hard drives, as my audio and video library is vast... and growing.

i know that hard drive prices are very high right now but i saw this western digital on sale for $169 on New Egg. the ratings are not that impressive. what do you guys think? is there another drive i should consider?

thanks

Edited by hamluis, 23 February 2012 - 10:12 AM.
Moved from Buying New Computer to System Building/Upgrading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

I usually use Western Digital hard drives for all of my builds as i have not had one failed on me.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

Your link shows this today

In stock. Limit 1 per customer.

Was: $249.99
Now: $219.99
Save: $30.00

After looking at user reviews on all brands of green drives I'm not impressed. Marginal power reduction for some speed reduction.

Have you thought about a Drobo and a inexpensive HTPC? http://www.drobo.com/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100006670&isNodeId=1&Description=Drobo&x=0&y=0

I haven't bought one yet however This is why I'm thinking about it.

Dynamically expand storage any time. Drobo currently holds up to 36TB, depending on the model, using any combination of 3.5" disk drives. The Drobo family offers FireWire, USB, eSATA, Ethernet, and iSCSI connectivity options, so you get the data protection you need along with the speed and interface you want

and

With Drobo, buy just the storage you need now and expand it as the amount of data you need to store grows. Mix and match drive brands, capacities, and speeds. Replace your smallest drive with a larger one and immediately use the new capacity in a matter of seconds. It's as simple as inserting the new drive into an empty slot or replacing a smaller drive with a larger. Expand up to 24TB on a single volume as larger drive sizes become available. Drobo creates one large storage pool. Dive in and eliminate the need for multiple external storage drives and devices.

Just a thought.
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 February 2012 - 05:39 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

In most typical computers, theres no real difference between the green and black hard drives (ive used several, liked them all) However, since your using it as a HTPC and you will be doing a lot of hard disc searching, the added performance of a black drive would be very handy. What the green drives do in essence, is when their idling they slow down-don't spin as fast. When you go to look for something they spin up, and continue spinning while your actively using it. So for a standard computer user or even light gamers, you might see a slow initial load but after that you won't notice any difference. But in your case since you will be watching movies-you will load one, then watch it, then an hour (after its idled down) youll look for another one-etc, and having that initial load time will get annoying, while a black drive will maintain that 7200 rpm constantly giving you a faster load time. So I agree with rotor on this one-if you go western digital, go with one of their black drives for your system.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 eByte

eByte

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

WD Green Sata Hard Drives, in my opinion work the best. Buy the drives with the largest amount of cache you can afford.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

In terms of drive performance from best to worst.

SSD SATA 3
SSD SATA 2
15,000 RPM SCSI
10,0000 RPM SCSI & Western Digital Performance models
7200 RPM
Green Drives
5400 RPM
Old IDE drives

Hope this helps
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users