Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeze after a few minutes in windows regardless of activity

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zgig72

zgig72

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

When I start my laptop after it being off for a few hours it will start normally, but after a few minutes (1-10) in windows, the screen with go black sometimes with a buzzing noise or strange color pixel pattern. It will either restart itself or I will hold the power down to do a hard restart. After restarting this way it will work for hours with no problems. Why would this only be on a cold startup? I have tried updating drivers and bios because I thought that may be the problem. I also scan regularly with updated Malware Bytes. Any help is greatly appreciated :) Its very obnoxious because it happens like clockwork but only on that first startup.... I tried reading other threads that sound similar, but I couldn't find any that had no problems after their first crash.

dell xps 16 laptop
Windows 7 64 bit
core i-7 @ 1.6
ATI mobility radeon HD5730
4gb ddr3 ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

the screen with go black sometimes with a buzzing noise or strange color pixel pattern.

Hi and welcome -
I am not sure if this is the exact problem but to me it sounds like a failing Power Supply Unit.
There seems to be no malware / infections involved from your details, more like hardware failure.

See if you can get the PSU checked at a repair shop, or there may be others with a few other ideas.
Is this a well used unit, or just a fairly new and only used on a few domestic occasions ??

Thank You -

#3 zgig72

zgig72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

Thank you very much for your reply! Bleeping computer comes highly recommended. :)

How can I check power supply on a laptop? This laptop is used daily as I use it for school and gaming. After that first restart it runs smoothly for hours and won't have the error until I turn it on the next morning. Since the problem is only on that first start, could it still be a power supply problem?

Thanks again for the help :)

#4 zgig72

zgig72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

Bump for any further advice?

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

Hi

I don't know if this is your problem but you should keep this in mind until you solve it.

I saw something similar with a cheaper and older laptop once where the owner came to me for help. He then proceeded to show me how he could make it restart by holding it by the edges and bending it ever so slightly.

"AAAAHHHHH Stop that!" I yelled.

His problem was that as the interior of his laptop would heat up after starting and it would expand something inside that apparently caused a solder or cracked trace connection to microscopically disconnect and then reconnect. His died after running a few minutes, rebooted and then ran fine until he turned it off and let it cool down (or bent it LOL). He stopped traveling with it and it lasted him at least a year until he got something newer and then gave the bad one to a relative.

Anyway, the electronics in XPS16 are some of the most complex electronics available on the consumer market. If it is under warranty, I would pull the harddrive and send back the laptop for a repair or replacement. If it isn't under warranty, I would be careful not to bend it even slightly (like you can bend it at all :) but you know what I mean) and I would do regular backups of important data.

It could definitely be something else. I just thought you should here my story.

James

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

Did you check 'event viewer'?

Type eventvwr in the start search box, click on the icon and review what is going on in start up.

You can also perform a 'clean boot' to see if it's an application/program that is causing the problem
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#7 zgig72

zgig72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:44 PM

Thank you guys for the input. I will try the clean boot and update how it goes.

Lol. I won't bend my laptop either :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users