Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron Boot Up Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TJ Russell

TJ Russell

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:25 PM

hi i have a dell inpiron 600m laptop and i can't seem to boot it up. this has happened to me before over the summer and dell said that it was my hard drive. they replaced it with a refubished one (which was a big mistake) and i haven't had any problems until now. it started fine this morning then i left it for 5 minutes and i came back and it was turned off. i tried and tried but it wouldn't turn on the battery is fully charged and i had it pugged into the PSU when this happened. i was able to fid one thing that might indicate something though... if i press the power on button and F12 the little hard drive light comes on red instead of green. the little light only stays on briefly though. i am thinking that the culprate is the hard drive again but i would like to ask someone for advise before i go willy nilly and go buy a new one.
thank you!!

P.S. i have windows XP home edition

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:08 PM

Can you get into the BIOS? If not the bad hard drive may interfer with the boot process. Try removing the HD and booting without it in the computer. You can download and run Digtal Dolly (Hard drive utility). The S.M.A.R.T. utility will inform you of problems with the hard drive.
Create a folder to download DD into. Unzip the files into that folder. Burm and image to cd. This will boot to a Red Hat GUI. If these option do not allow you to boot the hard drive is not the problem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 TJ Russell

TJ Russell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:28 PM

the computer will not turn on at all. tried taking the hard drive completely out of the laptop button no luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users