Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to repair corrupt graphic driver

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ziva

Ziva

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

HI,

For Christmas I bought myself an HP Pavilion dv76b55dx Entertainment PC with Windows 7 Home Premium (64) bit. As soon as I turned it on I noticed that the screen has a slight blue tint. Also the colors are inaccurate. Whites have a bluish tint. Reds, yellows are too bright. Pinks can something look orange. Dark purples and greens looked washed out - for lack of a better description. At first I thought it was that's the way the new LCD screens were. But adjusting the brightness and gamma has made no difference. I also made sure I updated all the drivers etc.

I finally got fed up and contacted HP via email. They wrote back and said I may have a corrupted graphics driver. Then gave me instructions to try to fix it which seems more complicated then need be. They want me to re-install the OS from the recovery drive. If that doesn't work they I'll have to send it in for them to fix.

Is there a simpler way of fixing the corrupted graphics driver without doing the reinstall? I don't want to do the OS recovery thing. Sounds too complicated. Plus I'd loose all my programs. It has an Intel HD graphics card.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ziva

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Scroll down to Display Adapters, double-click.

Right-click the detailed item, click Properties.

Click Driver tab...click Uninstall, click OK. Close other windows.

Reboot the system.

Let us know any change or lack thereof.

Louis

#3 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

Hi

Dumb question. But I want to be sure. Do I check the box that says "Delete the driver software for this device" when I click uninstall.

Thank you,

Ziva

#4 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

Okay, I gave it try and marked the box to give permission for the software to be uninstalled. It took a few minutes, then rebooted. When desktop came back all the icons were huge and the task bar was also taller. After a moment or two the pop-up appeared and showed that it was searching to install the graphic display driver. Too a few minutes then had to reboot. When desktop returned the icons were small as was the taskbar. But the screen was real dark. Then after a minute it brightened. But there was no improvement as far as the blue tint goes. Plus reds and yellows are still too bright.

Guess I'm going have to send this in for repairs. What a rip-off considering it's barely 3 months old.

Thank you for your help,

Ziva

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

Ziva, I wouldn't' say ripoff unless they didn't want to fix it under warranty.

Before you send it in back up the hard drive. Unless of course there is nothing on there you care about.

If there is nothing you want on the drive I would do the system recovery. I might do that anyway after backing things up before shipping it back.

Warning, This will wipe everything off of the hard drive.

HP Notebook PCs - Recover Windows 7 Operating System Using HP Recovery

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01895783

From that page I would follow the instruction to
"Create a set of operating system recovery discs"
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01895783#WhenCreate
and then
"Restore the PC to its original condition with the HP Recovery Manager from within Windows 7"
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01895783#RestoreWithinWindows

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 04 February 2012 - 11:27 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Ziva

Ziva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

Thank you,

I will give it a try. HP also recommended I do a recovery.

Ziva

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users