Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Programs freezing in Win7 - Security Settings maybe?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kevin Maynard_*

Guest_Kevin Maynard_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

First post, tried to use search for this issue, but no results (or too many when i opened up the search.) I apologize in advance if I should have split this into multiple posts...but it just seems like all the issues I have is because i configured something incorrectly.

I think it may be a security policy setting on the PC. The issue is that I had to change some settings because we access a UNIX server for our old ERP, a Windows Server2008 for our new ERP, and use Windows Server2003s for our VPN, File and Domain controllers.

For workstations we have a mix of XP, and Win7 machines. The only computers having issues are the Win7 machines. We use Dell Vostro 460's, doubt the stats are really necessary. But they run Win7 Professional 64-bit.

So I had to flip the following settings to communicate with the UNIX server:
Network security: LAN Manager authentication level = Send NTLMv2 responses only
Network security: Mininum session security for NTLM SSP Based (both on the client and server) = No minimum (from 128-bit default)
Network security: Restrict NTLM: Add remote server exceptions for NTLM authentication = I input the domain IP addresses and server name
Network security: Restrict NTLM: Add server exceptions in this domain = I input the domain IP addresses and server name

The only other system changes I made were dropping the User Account Control Settings to the second to the lowest setting (Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer...) because the constant pop ups are annoying. I also set the network user login as an administrator on their local computers when I set up their accounts on their computers.

A few different scenarios play out:
1. When one of my employees is trying to access a network file (excel), she is unable to. The program will launch, but the file cannot be opened from her workstation. IN the lower right hand corner of the Excel window I will see the progress bar move, then it does nothing. The program will hang and has to be force closed. This file is on a shared drive on a Win2003 server (completely open to all domain users.)

2. When trying to save an IE9 file, the user is not able to change their target location, and when they do, it freezes IE9.

3. When trying to attach a file to an e-mail, the users are not able to browse their computers to find the files they want to attach.

Any help or suggestions would be welcomed. I would hate to have to reload win7 on all the machines and remove their ability to access the old ERP, they need it for referencing historical transactions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users