Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad Xp, Can I Make That Hd Secondary, Put New One In?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sonhouse

sonhouse

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 08:53 PM

I have to reinstall XP Pro, but have a BUNCH of pgm's and data.
Can I take the old drive which is good according to Norton Disk Doctor and make it a slave,
buy a new HD and hit the reinstallation disk with it, reload XP and with the old drive the slave,
still open and use apps? Its a Dell Dimension about 4 yrs old now, 2.4 Ghz, 1/2 gig ram,
120 Gig HD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 08:55 PM

In this situation you will have to reinstall the programs on the working version of Windows, in your new hard drive.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:29 PM

Use the HD manufacturer's software to transfer everything from the old drive to the new or image the new drive instead of a fresh install.

Edited by Enthusiast, 13 February 2006 - 10:30 PM.

#4 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:16 AM

I'm not sure that the manufacturer's application will do this and save your Program Files. Otherwise there'd be no market for what I use, which is Acronis True Image, or for that matter, Norton Ghost. Perhaps someone who has more experience will add to this.

#5 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:46 AM

You may wanna buy a new hard disk, install new OS then transfer the files from the old to the new ones. No point having one as slave and the other as primary. it might sound easier but there may be conflict. Another way is to partition the new hard disk.

Zener.
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:13 AM

You won't be able to access the programs on the slave driver from the new install on the master drive (different security descriptors cause this) - even if the account names and passwords are the same.

You could dual-boot to a copy of Windows on the master and to the copy on the slave - this would solve your problem. But, being XP, you'd have to buy another copy to be legal (and updated).

Have you tried running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog?
Have you tried a repair install? Instructions here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Edited by usasma, 15 February 2006 - 10:16 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users