Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 millturn

millturn

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

Hello,
I am thinking of adding a second hard drive to my desktop Dell inspiron, then moving my documents to the new drive and using the old one as a boot drive. Is there any logic in this or am i confused? I am looking for a little better performance.

Another question is when I boot up and the Dell screen comes on it says I can press f2 to enter settings but when I do nothing happens except it continues to boot up. It shows for quite a few seconds and there is plenty of time to hit the key. Have tried hitting a bunch of times and pressing and holding with no difference. Any thoughts on this also?

Thanx in advance

Edited by hamluis, 02 February 2012 - 04:27 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

<<I am looking for a little better performance...>>

Depends on how large your current hard drive is...and how much free space is currently available on it, IMO.

Moving My Documents is unnecessary, moving the contents that accrue to My Documents is probably what needs to be done. The My Docs group originally evolved in the era of small hard drives and was intended to provide a way of grouping data files away from Windows and programs, presenting more order than merely having them all jumbled together in Explorer view.

Everything that goes into My Documents...is a data file. All data files should not (IMO) be on the same partition as Windows, since they can only detract from Windows performance (even if on same partition with sufficient room).

Windows can access data files faster if they are on a separate partition, IME. But the major reason for moving data files is better security, less risk of total loss if something goes wrong with a given partition/drive.

I don't know much about Dell systems, so I can't address your F2 question other than to say that it's supposed to work as you stated. Are you pressing the F2 constantly?

Louis

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

Adding a second drive is one of the easiest upgrades you can make to a PC. Generally, you don't even need to enter the BIOS at all and all you need is a screwdriver.

First, look at the specifications for your computer's model and determine whether it supports PATA(IDE, most older PCs and many newer ones support this,) SATA2 (supported by almost all PCs since 2007 or so,) or SATA3 which is all the new hotness and is supported by most newer PCs. It's not uncommon for a computer to support all three interfaces, though an off-the-shelf model like a Dell is less likely to support more than one. Given the choice, you should opt for SATA3, since it's the fastest followed by SATA2 and finally PATA.

If you computer supports only PATA drives, then you may want to look into getting a SATA controller card. These are expansion cards that plug in to a PCI card slot and provide one or more SATA2/3 ports. If you go this route you may need to install the SATA controller card's drivers before installing the drive itself.

Once you determine the type of drive you can use, you can simply pick one of the many, many models of hard drive that are available for each type. Bigger drives are obviously better than smaller ones, and faster RPM drives are better than slower RPM drives; a good target is 7200RPM (assuming you don't opt for an SSD, which has no moving parts at all.)

After getting the drive, all that remains is to install it and set it up. Installing is very simple as all you need to do is connect 1 cable to the motherboard and 1 cable to the power supply (and secure the drive with screws, of course.)

Posted Image

You may need to set a jumper on the hard drive to enable or disable certain features, the manual with the drive will explain the different options and provide a diagram for reference. Jumpers are small metal pins which form part of a broken circuit. Jumper covers are small plastic and metal sleeves that fit over two jumpers to complete the circuit and thereby change a particular behavior of the drive (notice the small black square of plastic the finger is pointing to):

Posted Image

You can then boot your computer; Windows ought to detect that a new drive is installed and install the appropriate drivers. Once that's done, you can go about partitioning and formatting the drive. It will then be available like any other drive, or if you partitioned it into more than one volume, like several drives.

And then you're done with the installation. Now you get to move all the files you want over to the new drive.

As to improving performance (i.e. speed) there are only a few potential advantages to installing a second hard drive.

First, you can configure Windows so that it has a large pagefile (2-3GB for most systems) on the new drive (preferably on its own dedicated volume) in addition to a smaller page file on your main system drive. This allows Windows to read/write the pagefile while also reading and writing to the system drive. The performance boost isn't going to be spectacular, but definitely measurable.

A related tweak would be to move as many programs as possible off of the system drive (that is, out of C:\Program Files) and onto the new drive. This has the same benefits as moving the pagefile: Windows can read and write to system files while simultaneously reading and writing to the application's files, since the two sets of files are physically independent of each other.

If you have a version of Windows newer than Windows XP, you can use NTFS symbolic links to move entire directory trees from one disk to another while leaving a symlink in the original location (symlinks are like shortcuts on steroids. I used a symlink to move my entire Steam games directory to another drive without having to reinstall.) For Windows XP symlinks aren't available but (I think) you can mount a volume as a directory under another volume to achieve the same effect with NTFS hard links.

Probably the single biggest performance boost would be brought about by buying an SSD drive and installing Windows on it, relegating your current drive to secondary status. This would also be the most labor-intensive idea and may be further complicated by the fact that OEM versions of Windows (like those that ship with Dell computers) are usually tied to the original hardware; reinstalling using your OEM CD and product key may fail if you swap out the original drive.

Edited by Andrew, 02 February 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#4 millturn

millturn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

Thanx for the info guys much appreciated, as far as entering the bios i just wanted to due it to see what it looked like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users