Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 510 Not powering on

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

I have a dell XPS 510 that is not powering on. There is no sign of life, just the start button blinking. No dell logo on the screen. Just prior to this happening the computer was running very loud. Could the Case fan have stopped working and that is why it is not starting. I am not really hearing any noise as it begins to start. Could it also be a problem with the PSU. There was also a ton of dust in the case. The Dell case is a 5 pin connector and I only have one's that are 3 pin. Is the Fan for a dell XPS 430 MT a 5 pin or 3 pin connector as I could use the fan from this computer. What do you think my troubleshooting strategy should be? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

I don't find such model as you provided...using Google.

Louis

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

Sorry for the mistake. Dell Dimensions E510. Thanks

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

Hi, Pretty sure not a fan problem. PSU or Mobo. Usually power supply from what I've seen.
Follow the trouble shooting guide linked below.

Troubleshooting guide link
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/en/sm/tshoot1.htm#wp1114432

blinking amber light

Blinking amber

A power supply or system board failure has occurred.

Check the diagnostic lights to see if the specific problem is identified. Also, see "Power Problems" in your computer Owner's Manual.

The diagnostic lights patterns are further down on the same page

Service manual http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/en/sm/index.htm

If the diagnostic lights on the back are not working when you try and turn it on, then the next step would be to try a power supply/ Hopefully you have one or can borrow one.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 03 February 2012 - 12:17 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

According to the link you sent me the amber light flashing code says that the problem is either the Motherboard or PSU. I have tried two other working PSU and had no luck. This leads me to believe the Motherboard has failed and that is very disappointing. This is a 4 year old computer. I think it is better off building your own system as you can choose better quality PSU, MOBO, whereas companies like Dell skimp on these components. Thanks for your help.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:50 PM

The four diagnostic lights on the back are not showing anything?

One other thing to try.

Strip it back to basics.

Power off first.
1. Pull the memory
2. Pull the video card
3. disconnect the front USB ports, Also examine all the USB ports for signs of physical damage.

Test after each step.
I have seen this happen on Dells when the USB port was damaged and the pins were shorting to the metal USB port shell. If you see that then tweezers or small needle nose pliers and make sure the pins are not shorting out and test again. Power off first.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

The weirdest stuff is happening. I can now boot the system as it just magically fixed itself. I do have two other completely different issues I need to solve. When I took the hard drive out to back up all the information I had trouble accessing one users info. I had to change the ownership to get the files off. Now when I boot back into the system it won't let me access any of the files and the desktop is not showing any of the icons. I have tried the below steps, but the security tab is not showing up. Any ideas? Thanks

Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

It is also showing this copy of windows is not genuine and I know it is.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

if it is XP or vista?

Either way can you do a system restore? or in Safe mode does the Administrator account show up?

If you can log in as Administrator you should be home free. Then you can try and take ownership again or create a new user profile and start that way.

Good Luck

167 @ June 2015

#9 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

My computer fell off the wagon again. It is back to the blinking orange light. I think this computer is suffering major hardware failure (Motherboard) and it is only luck if it starts. I will try and start it a few more times and if that does not work that's all I can try. Thanks for your help and I will keep you posted.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:52 PM

I would like to know if the 4 lights show anything. I believe they are on the front with the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 and are between the headphone jack and the front USB ports.

If they show anything that link should give you a way to interpret them.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

I do see the 1234 light up and flash with what looks like a recycle bin above the #3. What do the #'s flashing mean? Thanks for all your help.

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

I do see the 1234 light up and flash with what looks like a recycle bin above the #3. What do the #'s flashing mean? Thanks for all your help.

Hi

The codes are in the link that Rotor123 posted in msg #4
Here's a link to that page that takes you straight to that section...
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5150/en/sm/tshoot1.htm#wp1120147

I do know that your PC model typically uses the CX305N power supply which had a huge problem with failing capacitors.
See if your power supply is model # CX305N-00, Rev. A-00

If so and you are technically able to safely remove and open the power supply here is an article with good pictures about it to help you see if your capacitors are bad.

http://www.aplusperfect.com/articles/fix-dell-cx305n-power-supply

I personally would not do what the author did to repair it but like I said, he's got great pictures to help identify if you are affected by this problem. Also many of the comments at the bottom of his page are from E510 owners.

James

#13 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

The unpredictable saga continues. I was just about the give up and tried to start again and it worked. I don't think I can ever shutdown this computer again otherwise it won't start again. I still can't access the user profile and it is only showing me a default desktop and can't access any files. System restore did not work. Is creating a new user profile and easier option then re installing the O/S. What about a repair install if it gives me that option. I am doing SFC /Scannow right now. I am also still getting this copy of windows is not genuine. This is the original dell windows XP that came with the PC, therefore don't know why it is giving me this message. Appreciate you staying with me on this topic. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users