Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Could Bad Ram Mess Up My Xp Installation?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 08:53 PM

I have a question. I am trying to figure out what is happening with a computer. It was stuck in an endless cycle of rebooting, Windows never fully starting. I reinstalled Windows and it worked fine for about a day, then the behaviour started again. I then suspected the Hard Drive and took a new hard drive and reinstalled Windows on it. This worked for about 10 reboots and started the same cycle of rebooting.

I did some testing and found that the RAM did not pass the test. I replaced the RAM and retested: PASSED. Just to be on the safe side I reinstalled the 'bad' RAM and retested: FAILED. Removed and put in the known new good RAM.

But the computer still won't boot. Somehow the Windows installation has become corrupt. No prob, I am reinstalling it now on the original hard drive (while using the good RAM), but I don't understand:

How can bad RAM mess up Windows XP on a hard drive?

Any ideas on what actually happened?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:07 PM

Could it be the data is corrupted in RAM and transferred to the drive altered and unusable?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:07 PM

my 2 cents. Isn't there something about XP linking to the first hard drive( the first install) and requiring contact with m$ft for it to work? Hope I'm not beng a dummy here.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:26 PM

If you're going to have a dual boot system XP has to be first.

#5 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:30 AM

Are you sure it's just bad RAM? How's the PSU?

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:08 AM

Are you sure it's just bad RAM? How's the PSU?

You bring up a good point. No, I don't know for sure if the PSU is bad. I put a test on it and it tests ok. But I will try replacing. But for sure there was bad RAM in the machine.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:03 AM

I recently had a similar problem. The ram had tested fine in the past, but suddenly my linux box wouldn't boot. I put in a different hard drive with ME on it and soon, that wouldn't boot, either. I ran a ram test and found one bad stick. I was finally able to get the drive that had ME on it to work, but the other drive never did. I managed to get Maxblast to work on it and it said that the hard drive was failing and must be replaced. Now I don't know for sure if the bad ram somehow caused the drives to fail early. But since removing that stick of ram, I am able to use both linux and ME drives on that machine with no problems. It had a new midrange-cost power supply in it at the time.

Working on other computers, I've found that the power supply going bad can pretty much destroy everything in the machine, including ram, drives, even motherboards.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:33 AM

RAM doesn't do anything but process information - Windows (and the BIOS) tells it what to do. So, Windows can write stuff from RAM to your hard disk.

But...There's other reasons for this sort of thing. I've seen bad video cards cause spontaneous reboots also - and I suspect that other hardware problems (to include bad/corrupted drivers) can also do this.

But...If the RAM went bad, I'd suspect an electrical problem (lightning strike, voltage surges, spikes, static electricity). And that can wreak havoc with other components also - lost a couple of NIC's and a TV card (in addition to the RAM) in one lightning storm. Even had surge protectors on the power leads (but not on the cable/network leads).

Finally, you can always boot with a DOS boot disk (and an NTFS reader if you're using NTFS) to see if you can access the hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:08 AM

UPDATE: I replace the PSU, did another repair install of XP, and no more reboots. No more issues or problems.

So, if the PSU was going bad and causing havoc on this computer, why could I boot from a dos disk and not have reboots? Why only with Windows? Hmmmmmm..... <scatches head again>
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:24 AM

Windows is far more complex, hence more thing to go wrong. When you boot to a floppy you don't demand alot from your PS. It does not supply near as much as when XP is started. I'm not saying that is the reaso but food for thought.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:39 AM

Could also have been data corruption (caused by a surge from the PSU) - that led to a fatal error and reboot.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users