Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gmer found TDL4@MBR, should I let it do a full scan?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Baggett

Chuck Baggett

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:25 PM

I ran the GMER program and it very quickly found the TDL4@MBR maware. It asked if I wanted to do a full scan. I thought the better answer was yes, but now I'm no sure. Maybe if I'd said no, it would have proceeded to more quickly fix what it had already found, instead of now having to do a full scan first. I'd expect the full scan to take at least 12 hours, maybe as much as 36 or even more, based on other comprehensive scans done with other software.

So, should I stop GMER's full scan, restart it, and answer No instead of Yes?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

Stop the full scan ..
Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
Include the GMER log you already have.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Chuck Baggett

Chuck Baggett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

My computer crashed owing to lack of resources, which I think might have been file handles, or memory, resulting from the infection. I have a TLD4 MBR infection, but I might have other infections as well.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

maybe better

Download the FixTDSS.exe

Save the file to your Windows desktop.
Close all running programs.
If you are running Windows XP, turn off System Restore. How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore
Double-click the FixTDSS.exe file to start the removal tool.
Click Start to begin the process, and then allow the tool to run.
Restart the computer when prompted by the tool.
After the computer has started, the tool will inform you of the state of infection (make sure to let me know what it said)
If you are running Windows XP, re-enable System Restore.

Edited by boopme, 02 February 2012 - 02:24 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users