Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

strange behaviour after install of windows 7 32/64

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DSnV

DSnV

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

hello all,
i figured i would stop pulling my hair out finally and ask somebody about my problem, after some days of trying to diagnose with google i think its my only option,

im having what appears to be a gpu problem, although im not 100% sure ,
i have installed 64 bit and 32 bit W7 os's and after install i get the system freezing with mouse movement that jumps around the screen ,the graphics driver balloon saying it has stopped working and recovered then it will sometimes crash into a blue screen giving me the code nvxx xxxxxxxx ;sorry i cant remember but i looked the code up on google and it was indeed the video card that was in error,

if i go on youtube and try to play a video it just shows vids as a green screen , i then right click for settings to turn off hardware acceleration and it wont let me uncheck the box as it has already frozen and stays frozen until BSOD or a manual powerdown . sometimes the lcd's will just go black and stay black untill reboot, on these occasions windows will {i presume} carry on functioning as normal only ging of what the pc sounds like as i have no visual proof .
i have removed my UAD 1 DSP card and my firewire card incase they where causing conflicts , i have disconected all my other hard drives appart from the OS disk.

ive done tests on the gpu with furmark which didnt crash the system ;eventhough it was working hard and hot,although the performance was very poor with avg 3 fps at 1080 resolution .
im ready to buy a new graphics card but cant afford one for another week so i thought i would get a educated opinion on the situation in the meantime ,and hopefully i wont need to get one,i dont know we'll see i guess.

system:
windows 7 32 or 64 (same issue with both).
intel Q9300 ,
8 GB ddr2 ram ocz gold 800mhz
nividia 9500GT gpu ,cooled with fanless zalman vnf100
80 gig barracuda sata(boot)
250 gig barracuda sata(removed)
500 gig barracuda sata (removed)
nexus value 430 psu,
firewire card (removed)
UAD 1 DSP card (removed)

i havnt updated anything on this latest install or windows 32 apart from the graphics driver, as it does the BSOD updated or not ,i have installed and reinstalled windows ;both 32/64 about 3 times each
the boot drive is not at fault because i have replaced it with the same one new

how a gpu can be stress tested and not crash and then crash when asked to play a video is beyond my scope of understanding at this point
i guess i just want to know if i should buy another graphics card really ?

any help would be welcomed with open arms , although im in no rush as i will have to wait a week to get the new video card anyway .
so thanks for letting me bore you with my problems,

Lee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

Please update all drivers including your chipset drivers.

#3 DSnV

DSnV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

updating now !

man you are fast :thumbup2: :clapping:

will report back soon
thank you

#4 DSnV

DSnV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

hello Dan,

ive updated video card drivers, chipset drivers and i had to add the other hard drives back to the system because thats where i saved all the drivers,they are all current as of today,

forgot to say my board is a asus P5QL PRO

iv just been on youtube and a video card crash ensued -black screens (i have 2 1080p LCD's) and had to shut down manually

aero is running ok it seems and it dosnt crash unless i use the browser that has lots going on in the window
any ideas pal ?

thanks dude

edit:
ive just noticed on the desktop that when i move windows around they leave behind a few pixel sized dots some of which blink like stars ,they remain there until i go over them with the window with which they disappear but again leaving other stars in other locations behind the windows trail, this behaviour is apparent on both monitors ,

edit 2:

i dont know if this is relevant ,
windows was searching for more updates but could not complete because of :

"and error occured while checking for new updates for your computer"
"error code 8002EFE .windows encountered and unknown error"

also ,
just tried furmark again and it froze the system after a couple of minuites ,had to HIT :whistle: and hold manual shutdown

Edited by DSnV, 02 February 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

Sounds like your computer is over heating.

#6 DSnV

DSnV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

Sounds like your computer is over heating.

3, 120mm fans, 2 in 1 out
case has been wide open for the weeks ive been testing .
cpu fan set to turbo in bios ,it isnt usually obviously, but for the time since this last install of windows it has been open.
pc is as cool as a cat, i always stick my hand in and feel the components.
hard drives are cool ,cpu is cool (i have a fan that hovers above the heat sink, so i can feel the processor with the back of my hand), gpu at idle is also cool (when using cubase it stays cool) ,the ram is lukewarm
im not a gamer or anything ,this pc is my music production box and has in the last couple of weeks gradually gotten worse with gpu crashes.
i think the gpu is on its way out , thats just intuition speaking by the way, as i cannot find any software that can verify my suspicions its an uneducated guess on my part.

any other ideas Dan ?
is there no divine mantra i can chant at the pc so IT and I can be at peace :busy:

Edited by DSnV, 02 February 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:56 PM

It is highly advisable to keep your computer fully enclosed with no open sides due to the fact that that creates uneven air flow.

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

You state you have Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit. Are they on the same drive/partition? Do they have separate product key?
You state you saved drivers on another drive. Did you also install them on the same drive/partitionWindows is installed?

Edited by Layback Bear, 03 February 2012 - 07:43 AM.

#9 DSnV

DSnV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

You state you have Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit. Are they on the same drive/partition? Do they have separate product key?
You state you saved drivers on another drive. Did you also install them on the same drive/partitionWindows is installed?

no, i only have ONE os installed at any point in time , i upgraded to 64bit for extra ram usage in cubase, ive bought a new video card today,not installed it yet ,will do tomorrow though

the boot drive is small 80gig and that is where drivers are installed ,i dont have any partitions on boot disk, drivers where saved to drive 2, 500gig ,i just loaded them from there to save me downloading them again (all current)

il see what happens when new video card is installled !

thanks
ee

Edited by DSnV, 03 February 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#10 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

Use Speccy to provide details of your computer's configuration.

• Download, install, and run.
  • After Speccy has finished gathering information, click File > Publish Snapshot.
  • In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  • A web address will be displayed. Click Copy to Clipboard and paste it in your next post. Include your computer's manufacturer and model number, as well.
=========================================

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#11 DSnV

DSnV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:18 AM

hell again
just thought i would make a final post to thank you all for trying to help resolve my problem ,

it turned out as i suspected ,it was a video card problem ,ive installed a new one and everything is fine now so happy days. :thumbsup:

thanks again
Lee

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for posting your solution.

The video card probably got way to hot and was damaged.

Please keep your case panels securely attached to your case at all times. If you need to open it up to keep it "cool" then you need a bigger case.

#13 DSnV

DSnV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:51 AM

Thanks for posting your solution.

The video card probably got way to hot and was damaged.

Please keep your case panels securely attached to your case at all times. If you need to open it up to keep it "cool" then you need a bigger case.

hi man,
as ive said the pc is as cool as a cat and i dont leave the side panels off usually ,it was just while testing and trouble shooting the BSOD issue ,
that said ,i will add a somewhat embarrassing realization, that when i took out the old video card i noticed that the zalman silent cooler was not fully secure on the back of the cards processor and was wobling around :whistle:, my mistake at install i guess.
So yes your right! the card had been overheating for some time it would seem (18 months) , im surprised it lasted as long as it did to be fair .

all said and done it has been a relatively cheap lesson learned , i shall be more vigilant in future and save myself the headache and pennies,

cheers
Lee :thumbup2:

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:56 AM

Here is a tip when installing any heatsink on any processor:

1) Always screw in the screws in a X shape meaning if you do the lower right screw first then do the upper left then lower left then upper right. This will ensure all screws are snug.

Also do this when mounting motherboards Corner screws first then all others. This will ensure the screws line up.

#15 DSnV

DSnV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:20 AM

Here is a tip when installing any heatsink on any processor:

1) Always screw in the screws in a X shape meaning if you do the lower right screw first then do the upper left then lower left then upper right. This will ensure all screws are snug.

Also do this when mounting motherboards Corner screws first then all others. This will ensure the screws line up.

yeah ,i hear you , you get the tension and balance just right with that method ,it does state that in the manual as being the preferred install technique .
on this occasion i foolishly omitted the four cone shaped springs that keep the tension on the sinks base via the back of the holding screws, with such blind folly, it is only reasonable to expect failure i will conclude . :P

have a great life !
Lee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users