Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows wont boot and Windows wont install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sunaj

Sunaj

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

Hello, I've a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop which has Vista on it.

Windows will not boot past the main screen, it ends up restarting over and over.

I attempted to install Windows 7 on the drive without doing a clean install. The Installation hung at "Completing Installation"

I installed from a flash drive because for some reason this laptop wont install from the cd rom drive.

I need to salvage many important business related files from the laptop and don't want to do a clean install unless absolutely necessary.

Is it possible to salvage the files from this laptop? I cant boot into it, no safe mode, nor standard boot. Nor can I seem to be able to 'over write' or 'set aside' vista and install windows 7

Please Help

Edited by hamluis, 02 February 2012 - 10:37 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Vista.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

You can put the drive into an external enclosure and try it that way.

Have you done any hardware diagnostics?

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

You can run diagnostics on this computer if you didn't damage the diagnostics partition with Win7.

Press F12 for the boot device menu when the Dell logo appears and choose Boot Diagnostics Partition. That has diagnostics for all the hardware available.

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

You have learned the hard way how important it is to keep back ups of all your important data.

It sounds very likely that the hard drive is dying so I would remove it from the PC and get one of these USB hard drive adapter You can then connect it to any PC and extract the files.

Alternatively you could try this Ubuntu Live CD to back up files from your dead Windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users