Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Convert ATA to SATA for a hard drive swap

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 megan boltz

megan boltz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

Okay so here is my problem. I have an old Dell Pentium 4 computer with windows xp. I currently have a 80GB ATA drive in it which is too small for what I need. I had a different computer that I was using for graphic design but the motherboard went bad. Anyway I had to downgrade to the Pentium 4 because I can't afford to buy another high tech computer. Before my motherboard went bad on the high tech computer- I bought a 500 GB SATA hard drive. I would like to put this SATA hard drive into the Pentium 4 PC. However the P4 only has connectors for an ATA drive. What exact cable would I need to do this? If someone could provide a link from newegg or some place where I could purchase this cable that would be great :-p I tried doing a Google search and I became confused at all the cables offered out there. What do you guys suggest? Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

There is no "cable" to convert one to another.

2 options, a SATA/IDE adapter http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270269 or a SATA PCI card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815283032

Personally, I go for the SATA card since it will let your drive perform better. Conversely, the adapter that plugs into the drive is simpler, but at the expense of speed and sometimes compatability.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 megan boltz

megan boltz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

Thank you so much for your help!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users