Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 beast518

beast518

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:41 PM

Well I put in a new 80gb Maxtor and I also have a 60gb maxtor.
And I want the 80gb as primary and 60 as storage but for some reason when i installed xp on my new 80gb
hard drive now in windows it says its a HArd Disk letter "F" and my 60 gb is a
Removable disk drive "C" . Please help me guys..........

Shawn :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:27 PM

Did you set the jumpers correctly on the drives when you installed them?

#3 beast518

beast518
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:12 AM

Well here is what i did. I took out the 60gb and reformatted the 80gb and reinstalled windows and my 80gb is now a C; drive so then i put the 60 gb in and put the jumper on CS. Then i started it up and under my computer it is not there but under device manger it is. But no matter what drive is in.... there is a removable disk drive that is under "My computer" that i don't even have so i have no idea what to do. If you have any idea or questions about the hard drives let me know all help would be very helpful and appecitave.

Thank you

#4 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:26 AM

Check out what's stated in the BIOS, for primary, secondary etc. If there's a problem there set to 'auto' in 'Detect'. Otherwise check your physical connections. It helps sometimes to have the 'C:' drive (80g) as the end connection.

#5 beast518

beast518
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:36 PM

So i just leave both hard drive jumpers as cable select?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:41 PM

No. Your primary hard drive needs to be Master and your. The second should be set to Slave. Cable Select has limited application, and is not normally used. Some Dells are the only coputer that I know of that still use that setting.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users