Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Win7 32bit on Win7 64bit machine?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RockerBug17

RockerBug17

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

I am working on a Dell Studio 1745 running Win7 64 Home Premium. I need to run a piece of hardware (Tascam US122) that is incompatiable with the 64bit OS. My plan is to partition the drive and install Win 7 32bit on the new partition so I can run the mentioned hardware. I've done this on another machine (Dual Boot XP and Win 7) and ran into a problems with the bootloader. I learned to install older OS FIRST because of that. I'm wondering if installing Win7 32bit on a current Win7 64bit machine will cause a similar problem with bootloaders? I'd rather not have to mess with the bootloaders, but I really need to run this hardware. And, since this is a Dell, with touchscreen, and most IMPORTANTLY, a friend's computer I want to be 100% sure I'm not going to cause issues I can't fix.

So, again, will installing Win7 32bit on a new partition of a Win7 64bit machine cause problems with the bootloader, or any other foreseeable problems?

Thanks a bunch!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/311/US-122_Win_driver_3_40_notes_E.pdf

This says that the drivers work with 64-bit Vista. Have you tried using the Vista driver?

Driver: http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/311/US122_Win_3.40f.zip

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 RockerBug17

RockerBug17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Yes. I just tried again and it gives an error stating the software can't be installed on this version of Windows. I tried "Troubleshoot Compatibility" as well with the same result. I've tested this hardware on my own computer running Win7 32bit and it worked just fine. I used the Vista Driver for that install, since there isn't one specifically for Win7.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

Not sure if this is what you are looking for: Windows 7 - Installing both x32 and x64 versions of Win 7.

I have never done this myself.

Also make note of post #2:

Bare Foot Kid says:
Also 'legally' one key equals 1 install at a time, one activation key is to activate only 1 Windows, not 2; at worst the key will be blacklisted and will no-longer be good to activate even 1 install.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

You do not need to install 32 bit on your computer
You already have it with 64 bit.

Do the following.
All programs (bottom left)
You have Internet explorer (64bit)..... and Internet explorer
Click on Internet explorer....this is 32bit....right click and send to desktop
Now when you wish to work in 32bit mode use this.

#6 RockerBug17

RockerBug17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

I don't follow you on this. Plus, I tried it and I still couldn't install the drivers for the Tascam US122.

Edited by hamluis, 02 February 2012 - 10:39 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#7 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

You do not need to install 32 bit on your computer
You already have it with 64 bit.

Do the following.
All programs (bottom left)
You have Internet explorer (64bit)..... and Internet explorer
Click on Internet explorer....this is 32bit....right click and send to desktop
Now when you wish to work in 32bit mode use this.

I don't follow you on this. Plus, I tried it and I still couldn't install the drivers for the Tascam US122.

What do you mean you don`t follow? did you do as I stated above?

#8 RockerBug17

RockerBug17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

I mean I tried what you suggested, but I don't see what Internet Explorer has to do with installing drivers on a 64bit system.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

There are no Win 7 drivers for that device...the only drivers listed are all for 32-bit O/Ses and the latest ones available are for XP/Vista.

Louis

#10 RockerBug17

RockerBug17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

I know. But I found a guide online detailing how to install the drivers on Windows 7 using the Vista drivers. The problem is that the computer I'm working is 64bit. I just need to know if adding Windows 7 32bit to a new drive partition will overwrite the bootloader for the current version of Windows 7 (64 bit) installed on this computer? I can fix it if it does, but I'd rather not have to do that.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

Well...there's only one way to find out, IMO...do it.

Then you'll know.

For us who have both versions of Win 7, I would say that it's unlikely that anyone has installed both, especially when one considers that there are very few items that run on XP which won't run on Win 7 64-bit. I've found a total of 1 program that fits that category and it's not a problem.

If you must have 32-bit Win 7, simply wipe and reinstall...or just reinstall. The empirical method works for these things.

Logically, there cannot be any problems with installing both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions in any order. They both use the same boot files, which is the source of problems which crop up when trying to install XP after installing Win 7.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users