Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB boot and copy files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hey guys, I have about 200+ devices that I need to update some drivers on and I was thinking the best way for me to probably do this would be to setup some type of bootable usb flash drive that would boot and then replace the files.

I assume i could just create some type of small linux bootable usb and just mount the hdd then replace the files on boot, but does anybody have any suggestions or other ideas on how i might be able to do this?

I can't seem to find anything online that would help and i can only think it's because of how i'm searching and the "wording" i'm using.

Does anybody have any experience with this or any ideas on how i can accomplish this?

Thanks!
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

I know this is in the Linux / Unix Section, so I have to ask this question.

Is this for Linux or Unix or is it for Windows?

Also 200 device drivers?

#3 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

I know this is in the Linux / Unix Section, so I have to ask this question.

Is this for Linux or Unix or is it for Windows?

Also 200 device drivers?

Yes I know, all the devices are running RHEL4, my intention was to use some linux distro on the bootable flash drive but I wanted to get other suggestions which is the reason I posted this thread.

I have 200 devices as in SBCs, VIA 1ghz 512mb ram. They have a few drivers that need to be updated to resolve some major problems we have been having. The best option I was thinking would be to create a bootable flash drive i can give to a tech to just stick in and it will do it's thing. I want to try and keep this as simple as i can for the techs to avoid any problems. I could just as easily create an sh file to accomplish this but i was trying to stay away from that.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

My best advice to you is to upgrade from RHEL 4 to the latest version of RHEL, and see if that resolves your issues.

The driver updates should be done via the yum update process if the drivers are from the RHN

#5 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:36 PM

My best advice to you is to upgrade from RHEL 4 to the latest version of RHEL, and see if that resolves your issues.

The driver updates should be done via the yum update process if the drivers are from the RHN

Sorry i guess i should have explained it more in depth, the driver is a custom driver we had to update some bugs on, the "controllers" are just basically a SBC running ruby on rails to control equipment we have installed up and down the highway. The devices will NEVER be on anything other than a private network.

For the time being i just went ahead and created a shell script that will take care of everything, it's just annoying to have to login to the controller, mount the flash drive then run the script. I was hoping for a more of, insert usb, boot controller wait 5 minutes then remove usb and restart controller.

I'm going to play around with this some more tomorrow and see what i can come up with

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:58 PM

Well you can set up your own RPM Repository and add it to the sources list for YUM and that will install it via a cron job.

#7 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

Well you can set up your own RPM Repository and add it to the sources list for YUM and that will install it via a cron job.

Excellent idea not sure why that didn't even cross my mind, I think I was trying to make it harder than it had to be! Thank you so much!

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

then I would build your own ISO and Installer using Anaconda so you dont have to do this on future deployments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users