Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Wi-fi

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SonofBaraka

SonofBaraka

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:27 AM

My ex-girl friend had a PC which we were able to connect to the Internet via a wi-fi system in our condo building. My PC(Windows 7-64 bit) connects to the Internet via a cable modem. I bought a router and connected the cable from the modem to the router and a cable from the router to my PC. Everything worked fine. Then we split up and I removed the router cable and plugged the cable directly into my PC from the modem. Again, no problem.
I recently bought another PC(a Netbook, like hers was) and reconnected the cables as they were before she left. But I couldn't get the cable modem to connect to the Internet. It's only when I disconnect the cable from the router that I get an Internet connection. In the Control Panel, under Network and Sharing Center, I see the Wi-fi is connected to my floor wi-fi network, but the SBN(cable modem) is X'd out.
I need to know what steps to take to connect me to both networks.

Edit: Moved topic from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

But I couldn't get the cable modem to connect to the Internet. It's only when I disconnect the cable from the router that I get an Internet connection.

I suppose that you mean the modem WAN port is connected to the routers WAN port also. What router model is it and do you still have the manual?

Tekken

#3 SonofBaraka

SonofBaraka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

ASUS RT-N10 EZ N Router. Only a quick start guide, which is minimally informative..

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

I need to know what steps to take to connect me to both networks.

According to the specific information found on some websites, the router has a QIS(quick internet setup guide)wizard. A browser will automatically open. Might wanna check your Internet settings for any proxy set to be able to access the setup page once the router is connected on your modem.

Tekken

#5 SonofBaraka

SonofBaraka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:30 AM

I found the Quick Start Guide. 1. Connect your devices (DOES THIS mean I rerun the cables for my cable modem thru the router and then to the PC? and even tho I can't get to the Internet, the browser(Google) will automatically open/launch and I just need to followe the Quick Internet Setup steps to then connect me to the Internet?
Sorry, but I'm trying to be as specific as I know how...

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:05 AM

Connect your devices (DOES THIS mean I rerun the cables for my cable modem thru the router and then to the PC? and even tho I can't get to the Internet, the browser(Google) will automatically open/launch and I just need to followe the Quick Internet Setup steps to then connect me to the Internet?
Sorry, but I'm trying to be as specific as I know how...

Yes that is how I understand the quick setup guide also.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users