Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is my image file size BIGGER after I crop it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Quex

Quex

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

Disclaimer: I'm trimming these with the common photo-viewing application "Preview" that is native on all Macs for the past however many years.

I have a series of images. They are in JPG format. They show up as occupying ~900kb each. I am trying to trim away the borders of these to clean them and save space in printing.

The program in which I view these files has selection and cropping tools. I select what I want, Ctrl+K to crop, image is trimmed neatly. Great.

When I save the files, however, the size balloons to roughly 1.8MB each. What the hell? I just REMOVED information by cropping the files. They are still .JPG files, same as they were before. What is increasing the file size? How can I get rid of that extra data? I have tried PNG lossless compression online (Smush.It), but could only remove ~100kb from each file.

Please help me. ;_;

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

It sounds as if the pixels per inch is being increased when you're cropping it. As I'm not familiar with Macs, see if there's an option that will allow you to lower the resolution (say to 150 ppi is way more than enough, although 100 ppi should be OK, too). Also, when you save it as a .jpg, see if there's an option that allows you to adjust the quality of the image being saved (usually it's a scale of 1 - 12, with 12 being the highest and 1 being the lowest...6 - 8 is usually a good size to save at without losing quality).

Also, adding filters or sharpening them (which some programs will do automatically unless told otherwise) will increase the file size.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:57 AM

It may be trying to save the cropped image at a higher quality level than the original.
Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users