Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dr. Java and Compler Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jamiemcg

Jamiemcg

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:10 PM

Hello everyone,

I have recently begun taking a Java class and one of the programs that the instructor suggested that we use to write, compile, and test our code was Dr. Java, which is a freely available (not sure if it's open source or not) program, which can be downloaded from SourceForge. From what I understand, Dr. Java is supposed to be a good program for both beginners and advanced programmers alike, so I'm unsure why I can't seem to figure out how to configure it, haha!

Well, I am able to launch and run Dr. Java without any problems, but for some reason, it appears as though Dr. Java is unable to find a compiler, thus, I can't compile any code within the program.

As for a compiler, I have downloaded and installed the JDK from the Oracle website, and even tried reinstalling it, but Dr. Java is still unable to recognize the JDK compiler. I have checked the program's settings, but am still unsure as to why the JDK compiler isn't being detected by Dr. Java or how to even go about configuring the program to recognize and use the JDK's compiler so that I can start coding on my own computer.

The Dr. Java program doesn't appear to even need to be installed, but rather just runs from a ".exe" file, which I have a shortcut to on my Desktop. (The original file is in the Downloads folder.)

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Jamie

Edit: I just realized that I spelled "compiler" wrong in the title of this post! Oops!

Edited by Jamiemcg, 01 February 2012 - 11:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 A Future Pilot

A Future Pilot

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

I've never used Dr. Java before...I've always used Netbeans. I don't know if you're set on Dr. Java, but Netbeans is a perfectly good IDE.

(Also from the site it looks like Dr. Java uses an old version of Java...which may or may not be a problem...)

#3 th3p00r

th3p00r

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

I use BlueJ, http://www.bluej.org/

#4 Fsmv

Fsmv

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

I used Dr. Java in my first programming class too and encountered some of the same problems.

To configure the compiler go to Edit > Preferences and the first tab displayed (Should be "Resource Locations") is the one you want. You need to set the Tools.jar Location preference. The actual tools.jar file is normally found in C:\Program Files\Java\jdk[version]\lib\ but the C:\Program Files\Java\ part could be replaced with wherever you chose to install the JDK. If you still can't find it, windows should be able to if you search for tools.jar.

Once you show Dr. Java where that file is it should be able to compile your code.

Oh and Dr. Java doesn't have an installer because it's actually written in java and it doesn't require any files other than the executable. You're probably using it, instead of the fancy IDEs suggested in the other comments, because it doesn't offer any type of code completion or suggestions. This is important so you can learn the names of packages and functions without relying on your IDE's suggestions to code anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users