Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can no longer see other workgroup systems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hershel

Hershel

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

Following a difficult virus removal a couple of weeks ago (with help from this site), I find that I can no longer see the other computers in the house on the MSHOME workgroup.
Everything I've checked looks correct. Even tried re-running the network setup wizard with same parameters as always. Tried disabling Norton firewall also (Windows firewall is always off). Tried re-booting the routers (I use three, bridged). Still nothing. I can ping the other computers and they can ping mine... but they don't show up under network places/mshome. On my computer NOTHING shows up under MSHOME, not even MY OWN COMPUTER. Yet, the name/workgroup reported correctly. I'm stumped. I've got to assume that the various virus cleaning tools removed something or turned something off somewhere along the way...? The other family computers share my printer, and none of them can get to it... .any help here wi;; be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hershel

Hershel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

Just tried doing a "repair connection" on my LAN, and got the following message: "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed...cleaning NetBT"

???

#3 Hershel

Hershel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

Just found this: http://www.thatcomputerguy.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=154:cannot-clear-netbt-netbios-over-tcpip-disabled-in-in-ipconfig&catid=56:really-geeky-stuff&Itemid=61

Maybe that's the answer? And yes, I did have the Zeroaccess rootkit :(

#4 Hershel

Hershel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:26 AM

OK, while waiting I decided to try downloading and re-installing service pack 3. Ugh! Now everything is ok except the local network MSHOME looks even worse... when I go to MSHOME with windows explorer I get a pop-up that says "MSHOME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource... The list of servers for this network is not currently available."

HELP....? Anyone?

#5 Hershel

Hershel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:34 AM

Ahh, I think I found the culprit! I reset the Norton firewall and it then asked me if I wanted to turn on sharing. Now I can see the other systems, yay!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users