Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About video cards and buffering

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 snow scorpion

snow scorpion

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

My current desktop has an integrated video card and I occasionally have buffering problems when watching videos.

I'm considering buying a Dell XPS 8300 with a dedicated video card - a AMD Radeon™ HD 6450 1GB DDR3 video card to be exact.

I won't be using the new computer for gaming, all I want from the video card is to watch DVDs, streaming TV, and YouTube videos without the buffering. Am I right in assuming that the above card will put an end to all my buffering problems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

Buffering is less a function of your video card than it is of your internet connection. The reason you constantly are buffering is because you don't have enough bandwidth to keep the video playing without buffering. The other possiblity is that there is something using your network bandwidth in addition to the videos which is ausing the buffering. What type\speed of internet connection do you have?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 snow scorpion

snow scorpion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:17 PM

What type\speed of internet connection do you have?

Cable modem.

The Census Bureau says my neighborhood has a population density of 60,000+ per square mile and we have only two ISPs here: Cablevision (that's the one I have) and Verizon. Could all those customers crammed into a small area have something to do with the bandwith problems?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:52 PM

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 snow scorpion

snow scorpion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

4.78 Mbps down
1.58 Mbps up

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

When you did that test were you having the same buffering problems?
Mark Twain

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

4.78 Mbps down
1.58 Mbps up

Baltboy has hit the nail on the head as usual. Internet problem.

You need to get a hold of Optimum online. I believe the lowest tier of service is 15meg, Boost = 30Meg, Boost Plus = 50Meg and Ultra = 101meg.

From what I've seen you need to keep pushing them to get near the speed you are paying for.
Have a service call and schedule it for a time when the speed is slow and you usually get lots of buffering.

Is it worse in the evening? Have you tried at say 9Am?

You could have a line problem or you could be on a overcrowded node. If you Are on a overcrowded node and using a Docsis 2 modem switching to a Docsis 3 modem has proven effective in many case but not all.

What level of internet are you paying for and what model of modem are you using?

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 snow scorpion

snow scorpion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

Is it worse in the evening? Have you tried at say 9Am?

What level of internet are you paying for and what model of modem are you using?

Cheers
Roger

To tell you the truth, Roger, I never paid attention to the time of day when the buffering is acting up the most. But I will over the next few days.

I get the lowest tier of service - Optimum Online - which promises "download speeds of up to 15 Mbps." I've learned consumers should pay more attention to the "up to" part rather than the "15 Mbps" part.

I have no idea about Docsis 2 or 3 modems (Cablevision is not very good about providing information), but my modem is a Motorola SB4200 Surfboard.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

http://reviews.cnet.com/search-results/motorola-surfboard-sb4200-cable/1707-5_7-31298693.html

Protocols & Specifications DOCSIS 1.0 , DOCSIS 1.1

I would talk to them about getting a newer cable modem that is at least DOCSIS2, 3 would be better.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

I still use a Motorola Surfboard SB5100 which is a DOCSIS 2.0 modem. I can regularly pull 14+mbps on a speed test....of course I live in the middle of no where so my node is somewhat limited in population.
Mark Twain

#11 snow scorpion

snow scorpion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:36 AM

Okay, thanks for the help Baltboy, rotor123, and dpunisher. Looks like you guys saved me a few bucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users