Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need help replacing the CD drive in my Packard Bell Multimedia

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sega Dude

Sega Dude

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:24 PM

I got a Packard Bell Multimedia 4x4 desktop for $10 from craigslist yesterday. I need to replace the CD-Rom drive because it is problematic. It doesn't want to read cds and won't open some times. I opened the case and attempted to remove it to no avail. I removed the screw on top of the drive and one on the side. Then I disconnected all the cables. But it simply wouldn't budge. How do I get the drive out so I can replace it? Does anyone have experience with this machine?

Edited by Sega Dude, 01 February 2012 - 09:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

Most CD drives are held on by two screws on one side, though some manufacturers screw them in on both sides of the cd cage, which would require you to remove both side panels of the desktop, and depending on the style of case, you may have to remove the front panel as well. Im not finding that computer in a google image search (I can usually figure it out with pictures) you sure you have the model number right, your not missing any model numbers are you? if so post them and I may be able to be of further assistance.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Sega Dude

Sega Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

Most CD drives are held on by two screws on one side, though some manufacturers screw them in on both sides of the cd cage, which would require you to remove both side panels of the desktop, and depending on the style of case, you may have to remove the front panel as well. Im not finding that computer in a google image search (I can usually figure it out with pictures) you sure you have the model number right, your not missing any model numbers are you? if so post them and I may be able to be of further assistance.

The model number is a940-4x4. It looks like this:

Posted Image

Let me know if you need more info or pics of the inside.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

ooooh, one of thooose. Been awhile since I worked on one, age of the dinosaurs. Seems to me the entire front of the case with the trays should lift up and forward giving you access to the side screws-can you provide a picture of the inside of the case from various angles?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Sega Dude

Sega Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

ooooh, one of thooose. Been awhile since I worked on one, age of the dinosaurs. Seems to me the entire front of the case with the trays should lift up and forward giving you access to the side screws-can you provide a picture of the inside of the case from various angles?

Here you go. I took these with my phone so let me know if you need better pictures.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

Try removing that center rod in the middle, and seeing if you can lift the cage up. If not, try and remove the front panel, it should be held in by plastic clips.

picard5.jpg

#7 Sega Dude

Sega Dude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

Try removing that center rod in the middle, and seeing if you can lift the cage up. If not, try and remove the front panel, it should be held in by plastic clips.

Sorry I took so long to reply, I've been busy. The screw towards the front of the case next to the floppy drive won't unscrew. It won't budge no matter how hard I try to make it turn.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

try a bigger screwdriver, but that may not be the solution-the front panel should be held on by plastic clips, or screws-you may have to look in from the back of the case towards the front to see where they are at, and remove the front panel. There should either be a way of removing the panel, or of lifting the cage from the back tilting it up towards the front-you may have to remove both side panels.

Edited by the_patriot11, 06 February 2012 - 08:53 PM.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users