Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

absolutely dismal wireless surfing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

new computer (dell inspiron)
Win7 64bit
i3 core (second series 2xxx)

i had the comcast modem/router that i decided to ditch in favor of a new motorola surfboard gateway (6xxx). on 5e, ive hit as high as 23Mbps. on WiFi im VERY lucky to make it to a whole 1Mbps...

my old computer (dell visio) running XPpro on a centrino processor seems to run fine and another inspiron with a 1st generation i3 seems to run pretty good too...

i am especially having issues with yahoo mail attaching files...

i ran a current database malwarbytes with no objects detected...

what on my computer can i tweak to get it to run even close to correctly?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

Can you post speedtest on the slow new laptop with the old dell model? What is your connection speed?

Tekken

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

It is possible that the gateway is contributing in some way to the the speed issues.

This is from EG, a connection expert at the Comcast Help Forum. (more on that later in this post)

Combo gateway devices are always a compromise in both quality and performance compared to separate units. Also, only the ISP can update the firmware so you are always a prisoner of them. Also the firmware is typically crippled by the ISP's customizing of it and they typically eliminate valuable features. One of the biggest issues with them is that it is far more difficult to diagnose connectivity issues when it comes to troubleshooting. You can't narrow things down by using the process of elimination by removing just the router from the path. We certainly are seeing far more complaints in forums now !

From Baric, networking expert at CHF, replying to a question about gateway devices:

Yes, a complete waste of time. The only reason I would recommend trying it for is if you absolutely can not afford your own wireless router. The gateways are real junk, have very poor wireless performance, firmware can not be updated by you, have many missing control features and in general just suck. Of the two models that Comcast currently provides, the SMCD3GNV is the very worst, the Arris TG852G is slightly better for wireless performance, but it shares all the other weaknesses because it uses a similar firmware load.

Do yourself a large favor, go get your own wireless router and connect it to your existing modem. I would even suggest replacing the modem with your own if you don't have Xfinity Voice service, you can cut out the $7/mo rental charge.

PS. If you wanted to try it (it may work adequately in your environment, strange things happen sometimes), you can and then if you run into troubles call Comcast at 800-363-2416 and have the gateway placed in bridge mode and then connect your own router. In bridge mode, the gateway is essentially a cable modem/EMTA, the wireless router is entirely disabled.

If you need help or more information:

I suggest you post in the Comcast Help Forums.

We do have Connection Experts (they are very good) there who might be able to help you.

Those Forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are Forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.
Many times we, the users (99.9% Comcast customers) there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

http://forums.comcast.com/

Before posting, take a moment to read the Posting Guidelines. The link is on the top right hand side of the page.

Then choose the appropriate board to post in. In your case that would be in Connectivity and Modem Help OR Home Networking and Router Help.

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites/bookmarks. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

If you do post there let me know. I will monitor your topic to make sure someone sees it and replies. My user name there is the same one I use here.

edit to add: Connection experts are Comcast customers. If you post, please be patient as you wait for a reply. Since the forum is not global we don't have experts there 24/7. We do like our sleep at night.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 February 2012 - 05:42 PM.

#4 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

wow. good info on the gateway. too bad because i was given advice from some pretty trustworthy persons. they wouldnt deliberately lead me astray but none the less i had terrible service yesterday...

today on speakeasy.net through the chicago server, i had 19m (hit 23m at one point) in download wired with 3.5m upload...

right after that on wifi, i had 12m (hitting 17m) in download and again 3m upload...

crazy crazy performance that is just annoying...

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

What internet speed tier are you subscribed to? Any other issues with the modem such as disconnects, resets, packet loss?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 February 2012 - 06:44 PM.

#6 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

as far as speed subscription, i dont know. its just comcast/xfinity...

had ONE time that the modem/router was goofed up so i just cycled power and it 'rebooted'...

resets? on the modem? just the one i mentioned...

havent got a clue how to check on packet loss....

im currently on a semi-restricted (at my daughters dance academy) running on ATT/Uverse/DSL and its been no issues. i.e. 500k down and 620k up but it certainly seems to run SMOOTHER...

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

This might be worth doing.

In the Connectivity and Modem Help forum at Comcast there is a sticky post at the top: Information Required for Connection-related Posts.

Follow the directions in it, then post your logs. A connection expert will look at it and let you know what it means.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users