Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100mb Broadband To Be Debuted In Uk

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Check this out:

Cable company NTL will be trialling a new service in March. In partnership with Arris and BitTorrent the trial will take place in Ashford, Kent. The 100Mb speed will be 10 times the highest speed offered by NTL at the moment.

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=32304

I'm packing my bags... who's coming with? :inlove:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

Geez, I'm still hanging out for 1Mb/sec!!!

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:40 PM

Yea I'm hanging around 5Mb...

Version (the cellular phone company) has started Fios. Which offers 10Mb and 15Mb plans. :thumbsup:

http://www22.verizon.com/FiosForHome/chann...rnetForHome.asp

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:02 PM

In my case I do not P2P so it's no big deal. I have 6Mbs /768Kbs and the only time it comes close is on the speed tests. The limit right now is most sites limit download speeds to 500Kbs or less. In most cases much less.
I doubt you will see 10Mb o 15Mb in the near future. They will alway have a reason why you cannot reach top DL speed.
I would love to see it I just do not look for it anytime soon.
I recommend the $25 DSL\Cable Lite packages 256\256 or 256\128. Haven't had any complaint yet. Mom has 256\256 Cable Lite and I download updated from Microsoft and see 350kb even with the restrictions.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:27 PM

Who says you have to use P2P to get this plan.

Imagine downloading Windos XP SP2 full 256MB file:
At the maximum speed possibly you'd have it done it 20seconds.

100megabits:

- 12.5Megabytes/sec

- The theoretical maximum speed for Cat5e.

- You could download a 5GiB file in 7 minutes.

Looks like we'll have to get the Cat6 going. :thumbsup:

Edited by yano, 13 February 2006 - 10:31 PM.

#6 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:28 PM

Well, until this new service comes down to an afforable price, i seriously doubt me or my family will be using it.

I'm completely content with broadband (Road Runner) at my house now, and wouldn't really be that into paying a hell-of-a-lot more for a boost in speed.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:31 PM

No one will allow you to download from thier server at that speed. The comment about P2P was to demonsrate that only two users with the equal bandwidth could obtain 100Mb download.

#8 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:52 PM

No one will allow you to download from thier server at that speed. The comment about P2P was to demonsrate that only two users with the equal bandwidth could obtain 100Mb download.

So, until it gets insanely popular, you're pretty much SOL unless you're close friends with another 100mbps user with valuable files :thumbsup:

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:16 AM

Yep pretty much. But they have that game rgged also. They will only let you upload at about 1/8 of the download speed. IF your you and your buddy are the omly one on the internet in your nieghborhood. The only bigger scam is a computer warranty. Ggrr
I need drink.

#10 madnlooney

madnlooney

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:52 PM

ohhhh i got 2mb with NTL at the moment. but bet 100mb will cost a fortune per month

#11 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:43 PM

The only bigger scam is a computer warranty. Ggrr

:thumbsup:

Eh.. I hate how internet conenctions are all asymmetrical. :flowers: I wish my cable wasn't. I can only upload at 384K (or 45kilobytes/s) Take me 30minutes to upload roughly 75MB... :-\

#12 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:34 AM

Last time I heard of a similar technology it was Telestes EttH (Ethernet to the Home) which should give you 100Mbps symmetrical speeds, and get rid of the modem. For some reason the thought of plugging your computer directly into the wall always makes me laugh.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users