Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flashdrive light not turning off when Safely Removing it.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kenmc

Kenmc

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

Hi,

I have three computers that when removing flashdrives using "Safely Remove Hardware" the lights on the flashdrives are still lit up. I have two home built computers, a Windows 7 Pro, Vista Home Premium and a laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium. I don't know how much more information to provide. A friend brought a brand new computer (HP Pavilion P7-1202) to me to set up. When I remove the flashdrive on that computer, the light goes out just like they do on an XP computer. Is there a setting that I don't know about or is that the way it is on some Windows 7 computer?

Thanks,

Ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

I've experienced those same things on some or most flash drives. But have never been bothered that once I pulled the plug, something might go wrong. Maybe that's how they just work as hot swappable items.

Tekken

#3 Kenmc

Kenmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

I've experienced those same things on some or most flash drives. But have never been bothered that once I pulled the plug, something might go wrong. Maybe that's how they just work as hot swappable items.

Hi jhayz,

It probably looks like I'm repeating. Only trying to express my question better.

Every flashdrive that I have always does it on my Windows 7 Pro (home built), Vista Home Premium (home built), and Windows 7 Home Premium (laptop). I have many different brands of flashdrives. When I use the icon to "Safely Remove" them, the light on the flashdrive never goes out even thought I get a balloon indicating that they are safe to remove. The light always goes out on Windows XP. I set up a brand new computer yesterday. It's an HP Pavilion P7-1202 with Windows 7 Home Premium and the light on the flashdrive always goes out. There has to be a difference between how the operating systems process the "Safely Remove" command. I don't know what it is and it's bugging me. Is there a setting that can be changed? I really don't like to remove a flashdrive while the light is still on even though I see the balloon indicating that I can. And I don't want to have to turn my computer off every time I want to remove a flashdrive. Once my computer is turned on, it stays on until I turn it off at night.

Thanks,

Ken

#4 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

Hello Kenmc,

"USB Port Remains Active for Disabled or Safely Removed USB Device":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2401954

#5 Kenmc

Kenmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

Hello Kenmc,

"USB Port Remains Active for Disabled or Safely Removed USB Device":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2401954

Hi M,

I used the Global setting of course. All three computers are working correctly now as far as removing flashdrives. I tried searching and would never have found it.

Thank you very much,

Ken

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

IMO, a USB flash drive can be remove without using the safely remove hardware option. As long as you do not pull out the Flash drive while there is data transferring just like on external drives. Which most case could brick the external storage device. If this option was a compulsory on all systems, then why would an option for external devices to choose safely remove hardware should be an intervention for users to choose? Frankly, I choose either way. By pulling the usb flash drive(as said without data transfer) without using safely remove hardware. But in some cases do, most specially on external drives. The light illumintation is not a factor on my point as it could be removed without the remove hardware icon.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users