Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spazz_x

spazz_x

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic438469.html ~ Hamluis.

With the resolution of 1080 led & lcd tv's, for my next home pc purchse I'm thinking about forgoing the standard pc monitor completely,
Opinions on this please..! thx

btw the pc I'm currently playing with the config will potentially have an I7, 10G ram, Nvidia GTX 580, possibly go with solid state HD

Edited by hamluis, 01 February 2012 - 05:45 PM.
PM sent new OP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

I have a 32" LCD HDTV.

I use it for.
TV via DVR.
BluRay playback.
Media Player display.
Computer Display.
DVDs via a DVD Recorder with HDD.

I use its native resolution of 1366 by 768 input via VGA cable and seperate audio cable. That makes the computer display large enough to read from the easy chair.
I use a small wireless keyboard that has a built-in Touchpad, Think laptop size and layout. I can hold it in one hand and type mouse with the other hand.

I find being able to switch from computer to TV while the computer is busy doing video encoding at the push of a remote button handy.

More and more people using the TV set for Computer display all the time

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

I have a 32-inch LCD monitor and a 24-inch (I have two desktops).

When I bought the last monitor, I thought seriously of getting an LCD TV instead, looking at prices. I decided against it because I have no need or desire to use the TV for both TV and computer purposes...and I guess that I don't believe that a device which combines both functions can be as reliable as one which is devoted to only one.

And I see no reason for me to combine both functions in one device :).

I'm not an IT person or a "tech" of any sort...just another user who tries to enjoy his systems :).

I have a capture card in one of my systems for capturing movies/sports...so I can do both TV and computing on the computer.

I use approximately the same native resolution as Roger on one, slightly higher on the other. I just go with the default monitor settings and sdjust the video res on the computers.

Louis

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:17 PM

Hello Louis,

For screens Size does matter :whistle:

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:05 AM

I have a 32-inch LCD monitor and a 24-inch (I have two desktops).

Great minds think alike.

I run a VE248H as my main and a 32" LG TV at the same 1080p.

My only caution is that if you intend to try viewing a TV at a monitor viewing distance, you might have problems. There is a reason some 30" monitors cost ~$1000. Viewing angles certainly come into play. I have noticed also that text is a bit funky on the TV due to the default sharpening, but movies look so much better on the TV.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users