Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost wireless capability on lap top

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 WILD RACING

WILD RACING

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:28 PM

First off, the computer is a Compaq presario R 3000 laptop. Running XP home W SP3

Let me preface this problem with I was fixing another.....

I've had an issue with the power cable and battery light coming on. I would be plugged into the cable, and all of a sudden the computer would kick to battery mode. I would unplug and replug in the cable and it would switch back, then go out again. This went on for some time finally to the point where no matter how many times I fiddled with the cable it stayed on battery power.

After a google search I found this was a known problem with the solder connection on the jack.

I re soldered the connection according to instructions in this site

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50946-2-compaq-presario-r3000-power-cord-issue

While that repair has seemed to work, It seems I no longer have wireless capability.

I can connect to the inter if I have a cable plugged in from the router though.

I thought this computer had a Broadcom wireless card in and so I downloaded and installed this driver but that didn't work

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-26984-1

So now I'm not sure

When I opened the control panel, under Phone and Modems I see

Agera Ayatems AC97 Modem COM3
Novatel Wireless Modem Not present

I'm also not sure but the Novatel Modem maybe for my Verizon card.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Edited by WILD RACING, 01 February 2012 - 05:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Ok, I confirmed the the Novatel Wireless Modem is for my Verizon card when it is plugged into a USB port.

I plugged the card in and the Modem now shows it attached to COM 4

Still wont access the Internet though.

#3 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:43 AM

Anyone??????????

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:29 PM

Simple questions

Built-in Wireless
1. When you put the laptop back together the wireless card was put back.
2. The wireless card is completely in the slot and screwed down?
3. The two wires to the wireless antenna are connected to the proper connections?

If the wireless card is not showing in the device manager at all the look at #1 & 2

If it is showing but not picking up anything go to #3

Or are you saying the Verizon card isn't accessing the internet?

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

"Built-in Wireless
1. When you put the laptop back together the wireless card was put back."

Yes it was

"2. The wireless card is completely in the slot and screwed down?"

Yes, I have tries reinstalling it several times, It slides in easily and snaps in to the cips.

"3. The two wires to the wireless antenna are connected to the proper connections?"

Those were never disconnected.

The internal wireless card does not show up in the devise manager.

The verizon card just makes a WIFI hot spot that the wireless card can pick up. It can be used with or with out plugging it into the USB port. When it it is plugged in it will only give Internet to that one computer, when left unplugged it will support up to 4. The Novatel Wireless Modem is the port where the Verizon card would plug into.

Only way I can get the Internet on this laptop is by plugging in a cable from the router.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

I'd be thinking about replacing it or using a wireless adapter that plugs into the USB port

I wasn't sure what Verizon device you had they sell both types of devices. Ones that are a WiFi hotspot and ones that are stand alone Internet adapters.

Edited by rotor123, 10 February 2012 - 02:23 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

Wonder how I screwed it up?

I was afraid I'ld have to replace it. Was hoping it was just a driver issue or something

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

I'd be tempted to get a USB Wireless just in case the problem is the slot where it plugs in. Plus that'd be faster to get a hold of. I've seen some that only stick out of the slot approx 1/2".

One last place to check. In Device manager the View tab and then show hidden devices. Plus just in case in Device manager right click on computer and choose Scan for hardware changes. Plus I presume you looked in the Network adapters section?

Edited by rotor123, 10 February 2012 - 04:30 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#9 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

Ok, tried that, now I'm seeing what is called Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN-packet scheduler Miniport.
When I clicked on it's Properties, it shows it as location unknown.

Am I on the right path here ? I feel I may be getting in over my head on this one.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

If nothing else is showing wireless then it seems the card is not being detected. It should normally show up in the device manager in the same spot as the Built-in Ethernet.

167 @ June 2015

#11 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

Great, starting to sound like I need a new card.

This can;t be a coincidence. It was working fine up until I took it apart to fix the other issue. Any chance there is something else I may have disturbed in the process?

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

Hi

Please forgive me if this sounds a little nuts but...

Does that computer have a physical button for turning the wireless on/off?

James

Edited by NeverSayDie, 10 February 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#13 WILD RACING

WILD RACING
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

yes it does.

However, pressing the button does nothing at this point.

In the past it would turn off the wireless but the LAN woul still show up in the connection manager.

The blue LED never did work.

#14 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

I just wonder if you did anything to affect it where it is now preventing the wireless card from getting power. I don't know much about that circuit so I can't say what to look for. I just know it was implemented for a short time in order to (I think) comply with international treaties as unregistered wireless was illegal in many countries at first.

James

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

One other thought that James's comment about the power switch jogged loose in my memories.

When you had the Motherboard out you could have bumped the switch to the off position.
Then when you put the motherboard back you may not have gotten the little slider on the motherboard into the switch slider in the bottom or top case of the laptop. Thus the card could be off and the switch can not change that state.

I hope that is clear enough. I took a quick look at the manual and it didn't seem to cover that subject. However been there and done that and had to disassemble again to fix it so it is a possibility. I am not familiar with yours to be able to tell if that could have happened.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 11 February 2012 - 10:17 AM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users