Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP System Recovery won't work/ NTLDR is missing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 beto85

beto85

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Hello,

I came here more than a year ago for help with some trouble and the issues were fixed so now I'm back with something else and hope someone is able to help me again.

Last Saturday Jan 29, i noticed my HP Media Center m370n PC with Windows XP SP 3, Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HD began to display memory page file increase notices on the bottom right taskbar.

Later on however i noticed the PC would begin to slow down and I would get Norton High Performance notices about svchost.exe located in WINDOWS:\system32\svchost.exe which was using up to 100% of the CPU and as time goes by so would the amount of RAM increase until it was maxed at 2GB.

So what I did was I turned off the PC, disconnected the internet and ran a Norton antivirus check, and scanned the PC also with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which found one thing probably minor. I turned the internet back on and I found the same problem was still there, svchost.exe was still using high % of the CPU as I said up to 100% and the memory usage just goes up as time passes and this is while running nothing, no programs or anything. I began to read on possible solutions and I tried first of all a system restore by going into safe mode and going back to the Wednesday before last Saturday, because in the early hours of Saturday I was watching a movie online on zmovie.com and I noticed Norton blocking several intrusion/virus attempts so I thought that mightve been the cause of the svchost using all of the CPU.

But I notice that only when the internet is turned on does svchost.exe begin to use up most or all of the CPU as well as increase RAM usage. So I read that it could possibly be Windows Firewall, or Windows Updates which both are controlled by svchost? Anyways I remember a couple days ago I had turned on windows firewall so I turned it off but the problem remained.

I did another system restore to January 10th or so and the problem remained. Then I read possibly installing all the newest updates would resolve this and I began to do so until I noticed they were downloading very slow and since the internet was needed the svchost.exe was going to continue to use a lot of the CPU while increasing RAM use making the PC slower so I just unplugged the PC and I probably shouldnt have done that, maybe I made things worse but I did.

Finally I turned the PC on again and noticed Norton AV displayed an error saying intrusion prevention was turned off, I removed it, reinstalled and it was fine, but now the automatic updates didn't work. I went to control panel tried turning them on, but when I click on automatic updates nothing opens, the menu window will not appear. So I then backed up all of my files and began to do a HP System Restore using the partition on the hard drive. It began but after a while I got an error saying "Runtime Error! C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe, R6025, -pure virtual function call" So I turned the PC off, I tried again and this time it said "Windows\System32\hal.dll" was missing. Then I tried a full system recovery, and after a while I get error messages saying "Problen(yes HP or Microsoft misspelled Problem) in extracting process XXX file could not be opened!" So I clicked OK on the error message but a series of probably thousands of these pop up so I just hold down enter until the system restore process is finished but of course the PC wasn't able to be restored. Finally I tried going into the BIOS menu and setting the CD Rom drive to first boot priority and I tried doing a system recovery using the 8 HP recovery CDs and everything seemed to go smoothly until I get to the 8th and final disc where the "Problem in extracting process XXX file couldnt be opened!" error messages occur again. I'm trying to remember when the "NTLDR is missing, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" message on a black screen occurred, if after the first system recovery attempt or second time but thats what I see now. I tried the 8 HP recovery CDs one more time and the same error happens.

So that's where I'm at, I turn on the PC and I get a black screen saying NTLDR is missing press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart and I do that but I come back to the same error. I'm not sure what else to do, but this does look familiar to me, I think I mightve encountered this error before I just cant remember what I did to fix it. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated, im using my Windows 7 laptop for now but I still like my old XP PC since I play old games on there. Thank you,

Beto

Edited by beto85, 02 February 2012 - 01:36 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 beto85

beto85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

Anyone? lol

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

Hello,I would say you have file corruption.
There is a goos walkthru here. L@@K

Edited by boopme, 03 February 2012 - 08:21 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users