Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 10 slow tabs closing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel® Atom™ CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 28 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1015 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel® 945 Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 152616 MB, Free - 110663 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1468
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Actuallly since Firefox 9 I have experienced slowness at closing tabs (and absolutely nothing at all at navigate). The (+) turn dark and do not close inmediately as before. I work every day with Firefox on really interesting matters and believe me that I do not feel any real improvement since 3. A real Firefox improvement would be that the browser opened faster. This pseudo bug seems to be intimately linked with the heart of Firefox screts. Cheers and thanks everybody. (As with respect to the untouchable settings of visited page's colours I am affraid to explore that and destroy my browser since the ominous experience I had with 9).

Edited by hamluis, 01 February 2012 - 05:14 PM.
Moved from All Other Applications to Web Browsing,\Email.

"There are atoms and vacuum; the rest is opinion"
(Democritus, several centuries before Hume and Kant)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

How do you use your Firefox? your system is not meant to be a power house its supposed to be used for general stuff like word, email, some video's and thats it.

#3 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Your "answer" is really a funny question and a sort of friendly reproach, that seems to believe (presume) I am posting from a manicomy, plenty of "mad" people misusing very wellknown issues as Firefox. I congratulate you for you good humour and a lot of time to loose and to make loose the others. I use Firefox as an academic psychiatrist (a lot acquainted with computation), looking for information in several fields, as philosophy, psyhchiatry, criminology (I am en expert witness), Antiquity History, classical music prepaid CD's, texts (I do not read fiction), pipes, cigars, tobaccos, knives, fountainpens, hats, guns (that I do not use, for protecting my ears), listening direct broadcastings of classical concerts and opera, etc., etc. Satisfied?? Now you may use the time to answer my post. Friendly cheers and thanks.

How do you use your Firefox? your system is not meant to be a power house its supposed to be used for general stuff like word, email, some video's and thats it.

Edited by merellogalasso, 01 February 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

You are using your system in a means that it was not intended for. The closing of the application and your toolbars is dependent upon the system ram and the processor speed. Both of rich are far to limited for what you are doing. Your RAM is more then likely full, and Firefox is paging to the page file which is on your hard drive, and when you close out of firefox it is releasing memory from both the paging file and the physical memory. You would be much better off with a lap top with more processor speed and more RAM to better serve your needs.

#5 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

I don't catch your critics of my use of Firefox. Do you think that if with Firefox 3 I had gotten the same would I be posting for help. My best regards but I will not open your posts anymore. You should not pretend you have the culture and/or knoweledges to deal with respectable people asking for help. You do not have the right to treat me as I was an ignorant starting yesterday inside this field. As a matter of facts, my family is using shoes since more than 2500 years and we are all serious professionals. I am inside computation field since it started and have managed my programs ans applications with extreme facility and intelligence. It's the first time a guy from a forum, starts humilliating me instead of disclose help.

You are using your system in a means that it was not intended for. The closing of the application and your toolbars is dependent upon the system ram and the processor speed. Both of rich are far to limited for what you are doing. Your RAM is more then likely full, and Firefox is paging to the page file which is on your hard drive, and when you close out of firefox it is releasing memory from both the paging file and the physical memory. You would be much better off with a lap top with more processor speed and more RAM to better serve your needs.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

Dan is quite right in his assessment of the situation; an Atom processor with only 1GB of RAM is by modern standards a very lightweight system; web browsers, in contrast, are generally becoming less and less lightweight.

Firefox has long had an issue with memory use, and based on the symptoms you report the likely culprit is memory usage. Your computer can certainly run Firefox, as you have seen for yourself. However, not all computational functions are created equally and closing a tab is one of the more intensive things a browser has to do, since it involves cleaning up all the memory and resources which had been allocated to that tab.

It is likely that all or part of the tab's backing memory has been paged out to the page file. When the tab is closed, whatever memory was backing it must be freed; if part of the backing memory exists on the pagefile then those pages must be paged back in before being freed, a very slow process. The only solution is to prevent the backing pages of RAM from being paged out, something over which Firefox itself has no control. More actual RAM must be made available for use, either by closing other programs which are using RAM or by increasing the amount of installed RAM, or both.

Alternatively, you can configure Windows with a second page file located on a dedicated volume, preferably on its own physical drive. This will somewhat improve page file operation performance, but not drastically so.

All that being said, I should like to point out that I can detect no reason for you to be as offended by Cryptodan's replies as you evidently are. He hasn't insulted or demeaned you, just stated the facts. In return you have been quite rude to him, and not justifiably so. Everyone has their own particular style of interaction and it's not unusual for two people to clash because of these differences in style. Cryptodan's style obviously rubs you the wrong way. Still, you would be well served to accept his input in the spirit it was intended, as he does know a thing or two about the subject at hand.

#7 merellogalasso

merellogalasso
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

Agree not completely with respect to our friend style. I do not answer with a question or a reproach to people who I do not know or I am not joking. Please, be so kind to keep in mind thet I am a Firefox user; then it means that didn't have troubles with tabs with previous to 9 issue appeared. If yes, I wouldn't post a request of help. lear assesement as crystal clear rock water. Isn't it for you? Most friendly regards and thanks.

Dan is quite right in his assessment of the situation; an Atom processor with only 1GB of RAM is by modern standards a very lightweight system; web browsers, in contrast, are generally becoming less and less lightweight.

Firefox has long had an issue with memory use, and based on the symptoms you report the likely culprit is memory usage. Your computer can certainly run Firefox, as you have seen for yourself. However, not all computational functions are created equally and closing a tab is one of the more intensive things a browser has to do, since it involves cleaning up all the memory and resources which had been allocated to that tab.

It is likely that all or part of the tab's backing memory has been paged out to the page file. When the tab is closed, whatever memory was backing it must be freed; if part of the backing memory exists on the pagefile then those pages must be paged back in before being freed, a very slow process. The only solution is to prevent the backing pages of RAM from being paged out, something over which Firefox itself has no control. More actual RAM must be made available for use, either by closing other programs which are using RAM or by increasing the amount of installed RAM, or both.

Alternatively, you can configure Windows with a second page file located on a dedicated volume, preferably on its own physical drive. This will somewhat improve page file operation performance, but not drastically so.

All that being said, I should like to point out that I can detect no reason for you to be as offended by Cryptodan's replies as you evidently are. He hasn't insulted or demeaned you, just stated the facts. In return you have been quite rude to him, and not justifiably so. Everyone has their own particular style of interaction and it's not unusual for two people to clash because of these differences in style. Cryptodan's style obviously rubs you the wrong way. Still, you would be well served to accept his input in the spirit it was intended, as he does know a thing or two about the subject at hand.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

I find it difficult to understand you. Please use full sentences.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Just because a previous version worked well with no issues does not mean the newer version will also work well without issues.

An answer has been provided to you-more RAM. It is up to you whether to do that or not.

I also do not see anything that would indicate Dan has "reproached" you. He did not criticize your use of Firefox. Nor has anyone humiliated you in any way.

All he did was answer your question, as did Andrew.

Rudeness is uncalled for when someone is trying to help you.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

It has become obvious to both parties here we have an issue. The person requesting assistance and the staff of Bleeping Computer that Bleeping Computer is unable to meet the requesters needs at this time. Since there seems to be a language, syntax and terminology difference that has become insurmountable this topic is now closed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users