Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Recovery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rgrover1994

rgrover1994

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

Hi,

I know other people have had this problem and I have read some of the other threads about it, but there seems to be no clear cut way to fix the problem and it depends on each situation. For me, my internal HDD is not recognized upon start-up. I need to get the data off so I was thinking of using an enclosure. In the meanwhile, I want to use a usb to try to access the drive. Is there a way to do that? Thanks.

BTW. I was operating on a dell inspiron 1525 with a seagate momentus 5400.6, 250 gb hard drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

There are USB to SATA/IDE adapter available(just type by your search engine) while there are also enclosures such as found on this link with video

Tekken

#3 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

You could also try booting from a linux disc like ubuntu, see if the hard drive mounts then transfer the data to a USB flash stick or hard drive.

I've encountered problems before using USB enclosures.

#4 rgrover1994

rgrover1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:13 AM

jhayz: yea i ordered a SATA adapter. as far as the link goes, it says that process is for drives still recognized by BIOS. Mine isn't recognized.

dif: good idea. Do you have any instructions for that?

#5 rgrover1994

rgrover1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

OK so I got the sata adapter and hooked it up to a good computer. The drive is not recognized on my computer and is making a certain sound (attached). Sounds like its trying to spin up but can't. What can I do?

Attached Files

• Attached File  Memo.mp3   309.13KB   8 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users