Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD + Can't Sleep + Can't hibernate!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 randomystique

randomystique

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:07 AM

as above. computer has also been feeling sluggish despite low CPU/mem usage (10% / 70% respectively. no suspicious services running in the background.

BSOD usually occurs when i resume from sleep/hibernation.

there are also selective flashing purple pixels, usually found on very light grey background - problem seems to disappear after i switch from DVI to VGA cable - so i assume this is a separate, cable problem.

com went through complete defrag on o&o. still sluggish.
did complete AV scan using NOD32 v5. nothing found.
did memtest for 12hours straight - 0 Errors found.
did GPU stress test on my GT220. passed.
did scandsk and hdd check (from manufacturer). nothing found too.

system specs:

intel e2160
kingston 2gb ddr2 ram
XFX GT220 1Gb
2 x 160Gb Western Digital SATAII
Enhance 460W PSU

WHAT else can it be? please help me! thanks!

BSOD details as follows :

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8004EEE4E0
BCP2: FFFFF8800F3C79C8
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem: [ATTACHED IN THIS THREAD : MINIDUMP.ZIP! ]
C:\Windows\Minidump\020112-15506-01.dmp
C:\Users\test\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-29281-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Attached Files

Edited by randomystique, 01 February 2012 - 07:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:46 AM

The first thing I notice is bluescreen when in Sleep, hibernate mode. Desktops IMO are not better hardware configured to these windows power saving feature compared to laptops/notebook/netbook. Yo do have a minimum PSU for your system specs. and it might also be a factor. But overall, I would not lean on desktops running on sleep or hibernate for any cause. Wait for other suggestions from the experts. :)

Tekken

#3 randomystique

randomystique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:03 AM

hi there,

the thing is - i've used sleep/hibernate for the past 15years on both desktops/laptops with no issue at all.

and BSOD occurs only when resuming from sleep/hibernate.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

Hi

This is typically a video driver issue. However, according to your minidump, you are running the latest stable version of drivers for your GT220.

Did you do a video card driver update to the latest version shortly before the problem started occurring?

Also, do you play any graphics intensive games and if so, have you been experiencing blue screens while playing them?

James

#5 randomystique

randomystique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:10 AM

Hi

This is typically a video driver issue. However, according to your minidump, you are running the latest stable version of drivers for your GT220.

Did you do a video card driver update to the latest version shortly before the problem started occurring?

Also, do you play any graphics intensive games and if so, have you been experiencing blue screens while playing them?

James

hello,

i can't remember when i updated them - but one thing for sure is i went overseas for 6months - during this period this com was barely touched by my parents.

i don't play any games. it's purely for web surfing/videos/document processing.

should i find an older driver to install then?

also, how would the gfx card affect a computer from resuming from sleep? my first guess was RAM/HDD but couldn't find anything wrong with them..

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

Uninstall the current video drivers via Device Manager.

Reboot.

Install video drivers from either drivers CD which came with system or motherboard...or which you have downloaded from the appropriate card manufacturer's website.

Louis

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

hello,

i can't remember when i updated them - but one thing for sure is i went overseas for 6months - during this period this com was barely touched by my parents.

also, how would the gfx card affect a computer from resuming from sleep? my first guess was RAM/HDD but couldn't find anything wrong with them..

Hi

I'll try to give you a non-technical version of what is happening.

For Windows Vista and Windows 7 Microsoft decided it would give them an opportunity to force vendors to rewrite drivers to support new features. The most important new features were 'crash recovery' features. However in the ironic spirit of computer programming this caused unforseen problems :)

In the case of video drivers Microsoft forced video card manufacturers to include a feature into their drivers that would not just crash on certain errors but try again a few times. It is part of Microsofts new "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR). This works well often but sometimes it seems to be problematic. One of those times is when the computer wakes from sleep mode.

When your computer wakes it tries to power up your video card via commands sent to your video drivers. If the card does not respond within a certain amount of time, it tries again and then eventually decides that the videocard has crashed and down goes your system.

Three things can cause this.

Overheating

A power supply that is not powerful enough (Jhayz was correct in mentioning that yours is the minimum wattage recommended for your video card)

Or the video drivers. It is commands and responses from the drivers that completely govern whether or not this condition occurs. For example, your minidump file says that the bluescreen was caused by an error while Nvidia's video driver was talking to Microsoft's DirectX video driver.

The first thing I would do is see if there is a newer version of drivers for your card from the manufacturer (but yours looked the most recent to me, I could be mistaken). If not, I would see if the manufacturer has instructions on how to roll back the drivers to a previous version. They should have safe simple instructions available.

If that doesn't do it, I would get something to monitor the temperature of the GPU ( I use http://openhardwaremonitor.org/ ) and then check with the manufacturer to see if your temperature is too high. (I doubt this though because the temperature should be lowest when it is in sleep mode)

and finally, if nothing else works, I would spend the money on at least a 600 watt power supply. It's relatively easy to replace a power supply but there are several things that will need to be unplugged from the old one and plugged into the new one and it can be a daunting task to someone who isn't use to working on their computer's hardware.

Hope this helps some.
James

#8 Lefty3120

Lefty3120

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

Have you checked for any bios updates?

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

Have you checked for any bios updates?

That would be the least solution if ever. All outdated drivers can be replaced but of course the BIOS update should be specific to a fix when a newer version is out.

Edited by jhayz, 03 February 2012 - 11:38 PM.

Tekken

#10 randomystique

randomystique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Hi,

I'm pretty sure my gfx card (Gt220) doesn't require much to power. i double-confirmed at this site :

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gt-220-review-test/3

minimum 350w PSU is good enough - mine should be plenty enough for the card.

in any case, to rule out the problem, i did borrow a 600w antec psu to test it out - similar problems occur.

GPU not overheated as i monitor the temps.

nvidia drivers rolled back to an older version but still the same.

what else should i do?

hello,

Hi

I'll try to give you a non-technical version of what is happening.

For Windows Vista and Windows 7 Microsoft decided it would give them an opportunity to force vendors to rewrite drivers to support new features. The most important new features were 'crash recovery' features. However in the ironic spirit of computer programming this caused unforseen problems :)

In the case of video drivers Microsoft forced video card manufacturers to include a feature into their drivers that would not just crash on certain errors but try again a few times. It is part of Microsofts new "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR). This works well often but sometimes it seems to be problematic. One of those times is when the computer wakes from sleep mode.

When your computer wakes it tries to power up your video card via commands sent to your video drivers. If the card does not respond within a certain amount of time, it tries again and then eventually decides that the videocard has crashed and down goes your system.

Three things can cause this.

Overheating

A power supply that is not powerful enough (Jhayz was correct in mentioning that yours is the minimum wattage recommended for your video card)

Or the video drivers. It is commands and responses from the drivers that completely govern whether or not this condition occurs. For example, your minidump file says that the bluescreen was caused by an error while Nvidia's video driver was talking to Microsoft's DirectX video driver.

The first thing I would do is see if there is a newer version of drivers for your card from the manufacturer (but yours looked the most recent to me, I could be mistaken). If not, I would see if the manufacturer has instructions on how to roll back the drivers to a previous version. They should have safe simple instructions available.

If that doesn't do it, I would get something to monitor the temperature of the GPU ( I use http://openhardwaremonitor.org/ ) and then check with the manufacturer to see if your temperature is too high. (I doubt this though because the temperature should be lowest when it is in sleep mode)

and finally, if nothing else works, I would spend the money on at least a 600 watt power supply. It's relatively easy to replace a power supply but there are several things that will need to be unplugged from the old one and plugged into the new one and it can be a daunting task to someone who isn't use to working on their computer's hardware.

Hope this helps some.
James

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

I am becoming convinced that Nvidia has a serious problem with their drivers on Windows 7 64-bit (and possibly Vista 64-bit but I have not had a chance to have physical access to one like I have recently had with a Windows 7).

The PC that I had in my lab with this problem had been overclocked. I was convinced that this was what many people were doing who have this problem. I set the machine back to factory defaults, stripped it down to just video card, ssd, RAM and mobo/CPU, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Ran it through rigorous diagnostics with no errors. All looked fixed.

Next day...

Got the error. Randomly.

Your minidump file indicates that you are running 64 bit, please correct me if I am wrong

nvlddmkm.sys seems to be randomly sending garbage data to the directX drivers. This randomness may be because of a condition where very small errors are slowly adding up to a critical failure and Nvidia is having trouble nailing down those very small errors.
In your case, waking from sleep seems to push it over the edge (probably because TDR is triggered from the accumulation of small errors).

I doubt that your sluggishness is related to this issue and it seems you fixed your purple dots :) with the cable.

I wish that I could be more helpful. :(

James

#12 randomystique

randomystique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:11 AM

alright,

now i'm pretty sure it's the problem with the video card driver.

whenever I recover from BSOD ( OR screen not displaying even though it resumes from sleep successfully ), my gt220 goes dead ( device manager shows exclamation mark and i can't launch nvidia CP at all).

tried beta drivers, same problem too. :(

#13 randomystique

randomystique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:22 AM

just an update - i replaced my old DVI cable with ANOTHER new DVI cable and the purplish flashing dots are still there. It also seems to be a nvidia driver issue as I dug up a few old forum threads talking about the same problem on different cards too.

anyone has any idea what version of drivers i could safely use without all these problems? :(

just an update - i replaced my old DVI cable with ANOTHER new DVI cable and the purplish flashing dots are still there. It also seems to be a nvidia driver issue as I dug up a few old forum threads talking about the same problem on different cards too.

anyone has any idea what version of drivers i could safely use without all these problems? :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users