Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new build wont enter setup (asus m5a97evo)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 doc78

doc78

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

just got a new build put together and i am having some issues. hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

specs:
mobo: asus m5a97evo
cpu: amd fx-6100
psw: ocz 750w
gpu: xfx 2gb radeon 6950
ram: corsair ddr3 1600 8gb (2x4gb)
hdd: seagate barracuda sata 1tb
cooler master 212 cpu cooler

here's the issue. when i turn the computer on, i get to the ami screen and it tells me "press f1 to enter setup". it displays my processor, ram, and hdd info with no errors.

when i press f1, the screen goes blank and nothing happens. i let it sit this way for 15-20 min, just to see if anything would come up.

at this point, if i press the restart button, no ami screen comes up, but rather i get a "bootmgr not found" error. if i restart from here, or even turn the computer off and back on, it goes straight to this screen. if i turn off the computer and unplug the power cord, it will go back to the ami screen and tell me to press f1.

things i have tried:
-i have tried clearing the CMOS twice, with no change
-when i press the MemOK button on the mobo, it says the memory is fine and to press f1 to enter setup
-the BIOS rev. is 0813 which does support the fx series of cpus.
-i tried using an older athlon II cpu i had with no change.
-i have tried putting my windows 7 disc in the drive, with no change
-the hdd is freshly formatted, NTFS if that matters

that's all that comes to mind right now. i've been messing with it for the past couple hours, so its time to stop beating my head against the wall and take a break. i am going to call asus tomorrow and see what they tell me. i really hope that i don't have to send the mobo back to them for a new one.

if there is anything that doesn't make sense, or if there is anything else i can try, let me know.

thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

I would try resetting the memory, as well as the CPU and heatsink, make sure you clean off your old thermal paste and reapply as well. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say the board is bad, likely a bad ROM chip, but it doesn't hurt to try these things. Also check your owners manual-some motherboards have two BIOS chips, the manual will tell you how to boot up off the second one (if so equipped) and if so, will tell you if the BIOS chip is bad, or another component in the motherboard.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 doc78

doc78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

thanks for the quick reply.

after looking everything over, i noticed that the Boot Device LED comes on after i press f1 to enter setup. (my psu has a red led as well, so i didnt notice it at first) google searching seems to think it is a power issue or possibly a memory issue. time to dig in again i guess....

the thermal paste is good and fresh on the cpu.

i will try resetting the memory as well.

i've been looking through the manual and i didnt see anything about another BIOS. i'll ask asus tomorrow.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:51 PM

a bad PSU could certainly cause the issues at hand. If you have another PSU to throw in to test it, or another PC that you know works that you can throw that PSU into to test it, may help diagnose it for sure. If not, if your comfortable working around electricity and dont have a voltmeter this method may help you out:

When a computer begins the boot process the motherboard initiates the start up of the PSU. Because of this it is difficult to determine whether the problem is with the motherboard or the PSU when a computer shows no signs of starting up. The purpose of the procedure is to determine if the problem is with the motherboard or the PSU. For safety purposes please follow the instructions step by step.

This test is for ATX PSUs. Some manufacturers use non-ATX PSUs with 20/24 pin connectors that do not have the same pinout as a ATX PSU.

Caution:
This procedure will involve working with live 12VDC electrical potentials which if handled improperly may lead to electrical shock. Proper precautions should also be taken to prevent electrostatic discharges (ESDs) within the case of the computer. For safety purposes please follow the instructions step by step.

First, shutdown your computer. Then unplug the power cable going into your computer.

Once you have opened the case, touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity.

The connector of the PSU which connects to the motherboard is readily recognizable by the number of wires in the bundle. To disconnect it you will need to press on the plastic clip to disengage it and then pull the connector up and away from the motherboard. Please take notice of the location of the locking tab and the notch on the socket of the motherboard, this will only connect one way as it is keyed. This wire bundle will have a memory of the way it has been installed and will want to bend back that direction, you may have to play around with it to find a position that the connector will stay in the same position while you run the test.

Posted Image
www.playtool.com

From the top left to right the pins are 13-24, the bottom from left to right are 1-12.

Please notice that there are PSUs with 24 pin and 20 pin connectors, the location of the green wire in the 24 pin connector is #16, and the green wire in the 20 pin connector is #14. If you look at the connector with socket side facing you and the clip on the top the number one pin will be on the bottom left corner. This makes the pin out for the 24 pin connector from left to right 13-24 on top, and 1-12 on the bottom. The pin out for the 20 pin connector from left to right is 11-20 on top , and 1-10 on the bottom. If you look at the connectors you notice that these are sockets that fit over the pins on the motherboard where the PSU cable attaches, this is where you will place the jumper. For a jumper you will need a piece of solid wire about the size of a paper clip (20-22 awg), preferably a wire with insulation. It will need to be large enough to fit firmly into the socket so that it will not need to be held in place while testing. You are at risk of electrical shock if you are holding the jumper when you power up the PSU. Insert one end of the jumper into the socket of the Green wire, and insert the other end into the socket of any Black wire.

Once the jumper is in place plug the cord back in. If the PSU is working properly the case fans, optical drives, hdds, and LEDs should power up and remain on. I would suggest that you not leave this connected any longer than is necessary for safety purposes.

To reconnect the 20/4 pin connector unplug the power cord, remove the jumper, and reconnect the connector. Take a moment at this time to make sure that nothing has been dislodged inside the case.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 doc78

doc78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

thanks for that! i'll give it a try this evening.

#6 doc78

doc78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

just did your psu test and everything came on like it should. thanks again for the help.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

so everything booted up ok? thats good-means the problem does not resolve with your PSU. Is it still having problems entering setup and booting?

picard5.jpg

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

On another note, Im assuming since this is a new setup, that you have not installed the operating system yet-what happens when you put in the windows disc and try booting up with it?

picard5.jpg

#9 doc78

doc78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:25 PM

just got off the phone with carlos at asus tech support.

first off, it seems that my memory is not on the approved list for this mobo. i thought it was when i got it, but i must have misread the part number. oh well, i should be able to find a use for it somewhere....

i was told that even though the MemOK feature on the mobo says the memory is ok, it does not necessarily mean it is compatible with the mobo.

second. it seems like they are having some issues with the new bulldozer processors in the latest am3+ mobos. despite have a BIOS revision that is said to support the processor, he thought that might be the cause of my problems. so asus is sending me a new BIOS chip that will rule out any processor compatibility issues.

so in the meantime, i am going to pick up a cheap stick of memory that IS on the approves list tomorrow, and if that fails, wait for the new BIOS chip from asus.

i must say, asus tech support was very helpful in walking me through things to test and try. it was also nice to see a support line that is open outside of the regular 8am-5pm work hours. it saved me from having to deal with this at lunch while at work.

hopefully this helps someone else who is having a similar issue. i will be sure to update when i figure something out.

#10 doc78

doc78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

On another note, Im assuming since this is a new setup, that you have not installed the operating system yet-what happens when you put in the windows disc and try booting up with it?

just saw this after i typed out my above reply.

nothing changes when i put in my windows disc. for whatever reason, the mobo is not seeing any sort of boot device (hdd or optical drive) after speaking to carlos at asus, he thinks that the BIOS is not playing nice with my processor and causing problems, so a new BIOS chip is on its way.

thank you again for your help, it is very much appreciated.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

hopefully that BIOS chip will work, that was what it was sounding like to me as well. I doubt the memory will be a problem-typically if ram isnt compatible with a motherboard, you wont even make it to the splash screen. There are exceptions, but its rare. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the new BIOS chip fixes all your problems. ASUS customer support really is A+, hope everything will work out fine for you. :thumbup2:

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users