Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating Drivers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wgrogers

wgrogers

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

I have gone thru a clean up of my computer on the malware forum, and it was suggested that I make sure to update drivers after the last cleaning. This is XP Pro SP3. I found a website which advertises they can scan your system and give you a list of drivers that are critical to update or recommended you update or if you should want a backup, here's a driver. The downloads are free but you pay an annual subscription.

Looked like a deal so I did the download and paid but the problem I saw was that it recommended drivers for things I did not have, drivers for 64bit systems, all kinds of things. I tried to ask why they would recommend drivers for things I did not have but never could get a straight answer. So I cancelled that subscription.

My question is there a website the experts on this forum know and use that is reliable, that can give you a list of needed updates or newer drivers specifically for your system?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

The only place you should be going for stable, reliable drivers is the manufacturer of your computer (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc) if it's OEM or the specific manufacturer of your hardware if purchased separately. Avoid "Driver Download" software because as you found out, you'll only have problems.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

Also AVOID Windows Update for driver downloads.

#4 wgrogers

wgrogers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Okay, I thought you would say something like that. Then the question I have is then looking at the device manager, after the cleaning, I've got this yellow ? question mark listed over "Other devices". When you expand it, (ie: click the +), it shows "Unknown device" with a ? and ! in yellow.

My thought was a driver download site may be able to identify it and replace the driver. But, is there a way to identify what this (Other Device) is and therefore find the driver? If I open Properties, there's a "reinstall driver" feature I can click, but it tells me it cannot find the device driver.

If I knew what it was supposed to be, I could probably then get the driver from Dell or whoever. Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

You can uninstall the device and see what, if anything, is picked up on rebooting.
Is everything working otherwise, are there any other problems?

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

May be of interest:

Unknown Device Identifier v8.00
Freeware

http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

#7 wgrogers

wgrogers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

No problems per se, I think coincidence I'm dealing with a monitor issue and I don't see it related because I see drivers there.

I do not recall the step but during the course of removing malware, something happened and when I had to reboot it suddenly took 5m44sec for the time between clicking "restart" and the time I could see the blue background of my desktop. But then another 3-1/2 minutes to see my desktop icons. I rebooted a couple more times with the same results. The BC pro told me to run some virtual basic script and that seemed to correct 90% of whatever the issue was. My start up is not any faster than it's ever been but it isn't 9 or 10 minutes.

It was at that point I checked the device manager and noticed the yellow ? and what led me to the one driver download site.

So are you saying I uninstall the device or the driver?

#8 wgrogers

wgrogers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

Pete:

Thank you, I was commenting when you entered that link. I will send that to my computer and see what it finds. Thank you!

#9 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

The Device. You might want to see if you can identify it first, with the freebie progam.

Sorry for overlap!

Edited by petewills , 01 February 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#10 wgrogers

wgrogers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

I ran the freeware and found that it was a Cardbus controller from Texas Inst. I downloaded the new driver and am good to go. Thank you for the link Pete. All is well and as it should be!

#11 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for letting us know.
It's a very useful piece of freeware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users