Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer automatically restarting ( long)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 troutbum011

troutbum011

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to look at this, I really appreciate it. This story is long just FYI. But thanks again for any help.

Here is some background into my problem. I have been using my Girlfriends laptop. It's a newer Dell that runs windows 7. She had this printer that stopped working for an unknown reason. So we called the help desk people at HP. They messed around with the computer and got the printer to work for a few days then it stopped working again. We decided to buy a new printer from HP thinking that would solve our problems. So I uninstalled the old software for the first printer and tried to install the new software for the new printer. I thought it would be an easy process but it didnt work so we once again had to call HP and ask them to set it up for us. Anyway, we got the printer working and that's where our trouble started. So I woke up the next morning and fired up the computer. It said that the computer did not shut down properly due to a driver and and went into the start-up repair process. After 5 min or so the computer was back to normally and working. As the days have gone by we keep having problems with the computer shutting down after long periods of non-use and saying that the computer didnt start up properly. And now the start-up repair has failed and says that start-up repair cannot repair the problem automatically. I get this response.

Boot critical faile c:/windows/system 32/kdcom.dll is corrupt
result: failed error code =0x490

I am thinking this problem may have been caused when I uninstalled the old software or installed the new software for the printer or its possible that we may have a virus.. Any advice on what to do?
Thank you for your time,
Jordan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fetlock

fetlock

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:15 PM

Hello Jordan,

kdcom.dll is an essential operating system file that could habe become corrupted for a whole host of reasons. If the System Recovery option has failed (See Microsoft Technet social to ensure you selected the correct recovery options - also look at the advice on how to Fix the MBR (Master boot record) in the thread).

If recovery still doesn't work you could always look into copying a non-corrupt kdcom.dll from a working machines to yours. There are various ways to do this, e.g. plug your hard drive into another computer. If all else fails take a copy of all your data from your Laptop (If you haven't already done so) and consider running a repair/re-install, or a clean install, of Windows 7.

Hope this helps. I'm sure if there are other things you can try first someone here will advise.

good luck,

Steve

Edited by Orange Blossom, 19 May 2012 - 08:49 AM.
Removed unnecessary link. ~ OB

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:23 PM

Hi troutbum011,

Since "Startup Repair" isn't working, here are a few other things to try.

• Try a configuration that successfully booted the computer:
    If you can get to the Advanced Options Menu by pressing the F8 key repeatedly as the computer starts up, try "Last Known Good Configuration" and reboot.
  • See if System File Checker can repair the corrupted file:
    If you have a "Repair your Computer" option (not sure if it's in the Advanced Options Menu on the Dell), click on it.
    Select "Language," then "Next."
    At the "System Recovery Options" screen, select Windows 7, then "Next."
    Under "Choose a Recovery Tool," Select Command Prompt.
    Type: SFC /scanNow and <Enter>. (note the space after "SFC")

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users